1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iom Tt Advice On Viewing Points Please

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by HyperMac, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Starting to get excited about our first trip to the TT coming up very soon :) There is obviously a lot of info already online as to good vantage points etc. But if any of you experienced folks have any further info to pass on it would be much appreciated.
    I don’t want to choose areas only to find out later that with much less hassle I could have been some where better if you get my drift.
    Cheers

2. Most of the mountain is ace for viewing.
    We went on enduro bikes a few years back., best decision every made. You can get to all the best points and not be stuck there for 8 hours!
    Personally I find the speed on the mountain section the most enjoyable to watch. And you can get space to see. I find the town based bits with boozers too crowded and your view is all too brief.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The very first experience of the tt I had was at the bottom of Bray Hill, it will stick in my mind forever.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Of the publicly accessible areas, my all time favourite is the Gooseneck. If you want a place with loads of room even if there are big crowds, the Bungalow is a good bet. If you are going up the mountain, go EARLY.

There are fabulous places which are private land and only accessible by special arrangements, some of which I have been fortunate to view from, e.g. the sweet spot at Ballaugh Bridge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Buy yourself an ordnance survey type map of the isle of man .There are loads of little roads on the inner and outer circuit.We change to a different viewing point between each race. If you go to Kirk Michael don't park your bike off any of the side streets as there is no way out whilst the roads are closed and very little in the way of refreshments available unless you walk about a mile on the old railway line back to the camp site.

6. I like The Creg always a good crowd plus good food and you can get out when the roads are closed
    The bungalow is good as well

7. Thanks for all the input already.
    Yep , I’ve already purchased an OS map and have been studying it.
    I’m getting past the crowd thing, so I’m thinking the mountain is topping the list at the moment.
    You can’t beat people’s own experiences from years of attending,
    Much appreciated

8. Gorse Lea for us. (on the left going round the course) farmhouse with a white wall and a bench screwed to the wall. Theres tea, coffee, cakes and food and a great view of a sweeping high speed right hander.

9. Id like to try ginger hall - that looks good...we can never get out of bed in the morning early enough to get round there (we're staying in Port St Mary)

10. Windy Corner...

[​IMG]

Bungalow...

[​IMG]

Brandywell...

[​IMG]

Creg...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. On the television of course... (yes I've been on the island pre-IOM before you get all jaunty & awkward)!

12. I’d echo the comments regarding Bray Hill, breathtaking especially if it’s your first time. Trouble is it gets so busy there.
    The top of Barregarrow is one of my favourites although they have restricted viewing there in some places, again you need to get there early. Please don’t steal my seat!!
    Another good place is Conker Trees opposite the Silly Moos campsite, watching Micky D, Deano etc. slide round the left hander is incredible!
    There are so many brilliant places to watch, you have a map which is invaluable. You will love it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I like it at the Conker Tree's, only problem your stuck there for the duration.

14. Get inside the course, plenty of little spidery roads to get about on. The more inclined towards the off-road your bike is the more spots will be accessible. Compared to the amount of time you’ll waste sitting around for the Mountain Road to open after some silly middle aged sausage has fired himself off the road at Guthrie’s you can, on a capable bike of whatever capacity, have a huge amount of fun and see more racing / more IoM scenery / increase choice of pasty / ale / cake vendors.

#14 Fire3500, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  15. just before hillberry is great for seeing the bikes and sidecars flat out about a foot from the wall / grass verge.

16. [​IMG]

You can get fairly close to the action up the hill from the Creg too... (first two gonks in the pic are me and Hattie - dude in the green is James Hillier)

17. i would agree with you there "fire" . There is a nice drop up towards Kates cottage that they power wheelie off the edge of. Just take some food and drink with you ,as it is a long walk back to the Creg pub.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Loads of great places to watch. To name a few....

Barregarrow.... Crossroads, get on the inside of the course as close to the junction as you can, bottom.. Get there early, limited viewing but amazing. Park in the field at the farm/campsite. Access to brandywell if wanted.

Bungalow.... No need to rush, turn right at sulby crossroads and ride up sulby glen. Park either in car park or on the road. Bungalow, verandah, hailwood heights, brandywell all within a walk... Acres of room.

Glen Helen area... Park in Glen helen car park, walk back on river path to fields adjacent to helicopter landing area. Trapped for the duration.

Quarry bends, get here early if you want a fence side view. Not trapped, ride disused railway line back to ballacrye junction.

Conker trees... Trapped for the day, park in field or road that loops round. Stand directly opposite the k tree for best view.

Lezayre / glen duff / glentrammon are great places. Very bumpy and fast. Not trapped on outside of course, usually trapped on inside.

Hilberry... Park on road or grass. Astonishing fast right hander with bikes under your nose. Watch from behind the wall topped with triangulated concrete.

Ago's leap... Very famous, watch from the raised lawn on the left with the lampost half way down the wall, park on the side street. Not trapped, walk through gardens to get out and move to somewhere else.

For me, I'll be at Barregarrow crossroads, Glen duff, hailwood heights (if weather is warm) and whatever else catches my eye. Maybe morown if weather dodgy or ago's leap.

Take a run round the course and stop at places that catch your eye. That is what i used to do.

First night I'm there is friday, if practice goes then I like to scoot about a bit... Start at the top of bray hill in the school yard with the blue railings, move round on coast road to have sneck at the creg and have a nosey at governors bridge to finish off.

Hope that helps some, any questions, just ask

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'll be on my way Tuesday morning from Liverpool.
    Steve

20. Brilliant , can’t wait. Ferry on Thursday morning
    Thanks to everyone for their advice

Do Not Sell My Personal Information