1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iom Tt Advice Please

Discussion in 'Touring' started by davenwalk, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Hi

My brother is planning on coming over from Australia for the IOM TT next year for his 40th Birthday.

We are complete newbies to this, so need to ask a bunch of questions:

1 - Is it too late to organise - are ferries etc all sold out already?
    2 - What are the best dates to go for 2/3/4 days for an all round experience to soak up as much as possible.
    3 - Assuming we can drive and catch a ferry, advice on camp grounds (this would be preference)
    4 - Assuming we have to fly, advice on BnB's etc would be fantastic.
    5 - Which tickets to buy, are there grandstands, or where best to soak up the vibe and view the action?

Don't need every detail organised, and happy to wing things a bit - just need to lock down the major transport and accomodation issues before my brothers book their air tickets from Oz...

Above would be for 4 brothers, and maybe a wife or two depending on who's keen.

Sorry such newbie questions.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. 1 - Is it too late to organise - are ferries etc all sold out already?
    Possibly - they do go very quickly (you can fly to the island (change at London/or possibly Dublin?)
    2 - What are the best dates to go for 2/3/4 days for an all round experience to soak up as much as possible.
    I suspect the answer will depend on availability and what you want to do - don't forget if the weather turns, the timetable goes out of the window. Races are usually Sat/Mon/Wed/Fri - Monday and Friday are usually the bi races (the 6-lap superbike and senior TT), the other days you tend to get more races (sidecars on Sat and Mon I think, if you like that sort of thing). There's the Pre-TT classics on the southern 100. Can't remember the dates for them
    3/4 - Don't know. look up "homestay" for accommodation options
    5 - Which tickets to buy, are there grandstands, or where best to soak up the vibe and view the action?
    There's 37 3/4 miles of course, so take your pick. Grandstands at grandstand (obv), Quaterbridge, (the one on the Run into Douglas after the Creg), Creg-ny-Ba. all of these cost money.
    I reckon there are three tt-experiences
    1) flat out on the mountain - Kate's Cottage/Bungalow/Verandah etc
    2) fast bikes on country roads (ramsey approach, and out up towards Gooseneck and Waterworks, Ballegarey, Ginger Hall, Rhencullen, etc )
    3) fast in town (KirkMichael is the ultimate for that, but Ramsey is good for it, ditto Glencrutcherry Road/St Ninians in Douglas).
    Then there's the paddock, the purple helmets show (google them. Carefully), the Douglas prom, the Ramsey Sprint - all part of the "TT Atmosphere"
    There's other tourist stuff too

One other point - if you have missed TT tickets/accommodation, the Manx Grand Prix (aka the Manx Festival *spits*) takes place last week of August first week of Sept. It's clubman racers on the modern bikes and classics. It's a slightly quieter (and wetter) event, but it's still gen-you-ine Manx experience.

The best pub on the island is the Trafalgar Hotel in Ramsey <fx: runs away>

3. ferry tickets if you sail at unusual times usually not a problem

accom needs to be booked asap as its at a premium

don't need grandstand tickets loads of top spots around the course to view that are free however get there early before somebody else commandeers the spot with several large deck chairs

• You'll get some ferry tickets, you just might not get the crossings you want right off the bat. Don't fear though because reservation returns come in Feb/Mar and from there you can shunt tickets around as you need (with adjustment paid). Book what you can get now and then change later on. Consider practice week too...
    • Look at "homestay" options as camping is good > bad depending on weather etc. Hotels will be likely all sold out but keep checking.
    • Grandstands are cheaper in practice week, dearer in race week, likely all gone for the Senior.
    • Good places to watch include; grandstand area and paddocks for race vibes, Brandywell for mountain vibes, Barregarrow for "oh my days" moments, Creg Ny Bar for iconic r/h turn and "almost home" vantage point, Sulby Straight for full-speed sensory attack (nearer the bridge for braking, further to the shop back up the straight for speed).
    Enjoy it! Also don't discount the FoM / Manx GP / Classic TT week in August.

4. Join the isle of man steam packet website
    Like Fire said they reselll the tickets that people have paid a deposit for 6 months previously and dont want anymore.
    They go on sale at the end of feb but make sure youre on the website early if you want the right dates!!!

Definitely do the homestay too, the people are great and you get more of a feel for the island.

Have a great trip.

5. oh yeah, you know how most sporting events sell t-shirts? the IoM sells fleeces and hats. However you do it, you will basically be standing in outside all day in a field on a small island in the Irish sea. and the midges bite like b*stards. pack accordingly. And buy/bring a radio to listen to the commentary

6. We have got a big ordnance survey type of map that shows all the little roads and paths that go down to the course .It will help you find your way around when the roads are shut for racing.
    We watch one race then go a bit further along the course for the next and have found some great viewing places by pure luck .
    Kates cottage is good for watching the bikes do power wheelies as they go down towards the creg ny bar pub . Take food and drinks with you as you can be out all day .
    Be on the phone (preferably several phones at once )as soon as the tickets come up for resale at 8.30 am and make sure your phone is charged and you have plenty of credit as you can be ringing for hours trying to get through and the i.o.m is premium rate to ring .
    There is an i.o.m accommodation website that homestay people post on ,and you can also put down your requests for accom.

7. We camped one year at the Douglas Rugby Club grounds, which was pretty good. Nice big clubhouse too that did a good breakfast.

However a week of farting, snoring and drunken singing soon got tiresome. And some f***ing idiot who would start up his Repsol Blade each morning and let it idle for twenty minutes was a touch trying.

8. We have booked flights over, not the most authentic experience but with people flying in from afar, can't risk the ferry lottery...

Out Tuesday 5th returning Friday 8th at midday. Later flights were super expensive.

We figured we will get a good taster for what the IOM is about if not the ultimate immersive experience.

What is the recommendation for getting around, should we catch taxi's or hire a car? I'm unsure what will be effective given what I would imagine to be a lot of road closures??

Now to sort out the accommodation.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!!

9. i would have thought hiring a car would be a bit hard but worth a try.
    if you get accommodation in Douglas there are quite a few taxis ,but if you end up at Ramsey there are very few taxis (like about 3)especially on a night as they know the main money is in Douglas.

10. I think if you get on the website 28th Feb 8 am they release all the tickets so you can get some then...also, a few years back my father passed away 2 days before....I managed to rebook and move tickets 4 times til I got tickets that suited us.....the only thing I can say is it will be more difficult to rebook as there are more of you...4 of us went last year and it was more difficult to reboot. My advice would be to open an account now and check every day which is what I do.

We usually meet 4 lads there every year....they never ever book....they just turn up for an emergency place and always get on....5 years in a row!

11. If your dead serious about it ill ask my mate (we have an office over there ) so we stay at my mates place so he could ask around the office and see if someone will put you up.

12. Hire cycles with very bright lights to dazzle all the fekkers on motorbikes perhaps? :):upyeah::cool:

13. Good luck!hope you enjoy it!
    There are Busses around the island. Won't take you everywhere, but aren't bad. And the tram from Ramsey to Douglas is a nice ride and worth doing of itself (not that frequent)
    https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/bus-and-rail/

Remember, it's what you make it -there is no definitive list without which You Have Not Seen The TT... (although I'm sure we could write one for you :)

14. So after taking my eye off the ball for a few weeks, and with re-newed energy I started looking at accommodation and car hire and there is NOTHING available.

Currently asking around through my personal network for accommodation options, but from the internet (booking.com, homestay etc etc) there appear to be zero options left.

Car hire is also a no go, so will be reliant on buses and taxi's etc

Going to contact the ferry companies, and keep my eye out for that "28 Feb" window of opportunity to try catch a ferry ticket (what is the budget for Ferry Tickets??). If we can get ferry tickets, will cancel the sleazyjet tickets (and see whatever refund I get), but at least if we drive, we have transport and can take camping equipment.

15. This might be an option - give me a few days and if we are still battling I might ask if you can put a call in.

16. No prob. At the time i did ask and one the other lads in the office did do homestay but his lodgers book when they get there for the next year but, I'll ask again tomorrow.

17. Perhaps consider the Festival Of Motorcycling in August? Save TT for another year?

18. +1 on this, I much prefer the "Manx" to the TT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. +1 for the Classic TT

Many of the same riders as the TT. The last two Classic Seniors have been won by John McGuiness and Josh Brookes and the likes of Michael Dunlop, Bruce Anstey, Dean Harrison etc. on the Classic Superbikes are lapping within 5 mph of the main TT.

Plus the mountain road doesn't spend most of the time closed outside of race times because some hero has run out of talent!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information