1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iom Tt Advice

Discussion in 'Touring' started by nice1myson, May 9, 2017.

1. Nearly here and can not wait ,just a quickie for all you people that's been to the TT ,what's the police like on small number plates ,mine is 7x5 so not really small but also not legal ,are the police picky or will it be ok

2. Dont ride like a knob and you'll be fine.

3. From my experience the police are great but are keen on speeding where there are speed restrictions.
    Steve

4. I'm screwed then

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Is it just the mountain that is unrestricted

6. anywhere there is an open rd sign

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mainly only restricted through towns and villages.
    Steve

8. when I was there the unrestricted one way traffic bit ended at creg Na ba.. There was a few cones there but no sign indicating this and I went steaming round the next bend to find oncoming traffic. The cars were far enough away that I could get back in my lane befor disaster struck but It could have been all over quite quickly.

9. I wouldn't use a small plate - it's one more thing they could notice (ie if you are a bit naughty and they are 50/50 as to pulling you). Speed limits - the national limit is unrestricted - so when you see the go like f*** sign, you can lawfully. But: (1) anywhere off the mountain, roads can be rural, so make sure you ride in your sightlines (memories once of playing up near Jurby and just slowing down for a corner as it didn't "feel" right, and finding a combine harvester reversing into a field, (2) alwaysalwaysalways look behind before making an overtake. You might think you are on the limit, but there's always a local on a ratty-looking bike who is faster than you; (3) watch out for 50 limits, there seem to be more of them all the time

10. Theres a good chance you'll see a cop with a speed gun as you come into the 30's after the mountain as well, never fails to suck people in to going a little to fast when they should be doing 30.

• Like Like x 1
  11. as long as you see the speed gun before it sees you.... :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Plus places away from the TT course, e.g. downhill into Laxey.

13. If you can get to more than 30 on the road into Old Laxey, you are doing very well.... ;)

14. You`d better be faster than the boys in Blue. Last year`s TT they were coasting about on Dukes :scream: 1501.jpg

15. not only do you need to be faster, you need to have a different way off the island. It must be really disappointing being a rozzer on the IoM
    "quick sarge, there's a bank robbery going on - shall we chase the suspects?"
    "no, we'll just mooch down to the boat and wait for them there..."

(serious point - it's very easy for them to find speeding riders if they have your reg plate...)

• Like Like x 1
  16. What ive learnt over the last 7 years of going (going this year also)

Abolutely stick to the limits wherever they are...last year the plod had 3 unmarked bikes from recollection and were filming people and not even stopping them - then they got the bad news when they got home! - we did employ some countermeasures on that front but we definately didnt break the limits where they were and we knew what they were....

Most coppers are ok. I got knicked about 4 years ago (before the points came into play) and when i got to the courts the next day the copper who questioned me was a fucking asshole (but theres always got to be one) so like all - you might come across him...

Dont get me wrong - been lucky myself....lifted the hyper's front wheel all the way past the beer garden at the Crosby which got a load of cheers (i got a bit lost in the atmosphere ill admit it) and as the wheel dropped on the other side of the crosby there was a copper there...pulled me but didnt see the wheelie, but heard the Termis so he kinda knew what i was doing so got a stern talking to...

If you go to the Italian night in port erin the coastal road to it got relaid last year with lovely shellgrip tarmac and you can see the whole lot....probably the best road ive had the pleasure of ranting my RSV4 on i'd say....you cant get up to more than 100 but its really challenging... we spent one afternoon going up and down it!

Numberplates: 7x5's are ok (ive got a 9x3 strip) and never been looked at but some smart arse had one that i guess was about 1" x 3" and got nicked but then id say he was asking for it....there was a lad on a fireblade who had literally a triange bolted to the side of his swingarm - i couldnt see it from a couple of meters away...dont know if he got knicked or not...

• Like Like x 1
  17. You and 8000 other bikes will have a tiny no. plate. No one will give two hoots.

18. There are many coppers stood just back from the 30mph road signs going into the town and villages waiting for
    you.... seen 2-3 out every single day then moving around the circuit so be careful with that

I also had a 7x5" Reg plate on mine and was worried but as others had said, don't ride like a nob in the villages and towns
    and you will be ok, thousands more had them on their bikes

Was also told back in 2015 when i was last there, even in the national speed limit areas where it is unrestricted YES you can
    ride as fast as you want but if your reckless they will still pull you, pulling wheelies, tank slappers, all over the road, danger to others etc

Don't get caught out by not getting into viewing position nice and early, that's when a lot of the accidents happen on open roads and
    practice / racing is then delayed, because billy big bollocks wanted to get 15 miles down the road in 3 mins panicking before the marshals
    shut the roads off, 2 mins later you see ambulances and police flying past and you already know what's happened, a few people died in 2015
    doing that.... just not worth it!

19. Yeah - just to add - more often than not the coppers will have an x5 or whatever parked up on the edge of random villages....theres plenty enough time to see them so if your speeding in that scenario then you kinda deserve it....

Id just like to add that im guilty (to a certain extend of the last above point) - we always set out with the best intention of getting out early then it all goes to shit....and yes, last year there was an RSV4 caning it just before the roads closed before the first morning race...although id like to say that i think i know my limits...

#19 comfysofa, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  20. Fave places for the Police. Middle of Glen Vine, run into Glen Helen (Black Dub), Kirk Michael, Ballaugh (round the corner on the exit), End of Sulby Straight, Ramsey Hairpin, Creg, Hillberry, Govenors. Those are the obvious places they will be, but will pop up anywhere.

You will find the vast majority of the TT course has some form of speed limit, even places that were previously unrestricted. I think the only real place now to have a blast is the mountain road.

21. My first visit to the TT this year, plus I have never had the bike on a ferry before. Do I need anything special? Tie downs perhaps?

22. Nope....they do all that for you....and, they're very good at it. Been going for 7 years now and none of my bikes have ever had so much as a scratch.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information