1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipad Pro......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wull, Feb 1, 2019.

1. I’m considering purchasing one of these, has anyone got any experience with them? Worth the money? Yay or nay? 11” or 12.9”???

I’ve watched a few reviews online but would like real world reviews, the current iPad I have is one of the original iPads which my daughter has adopted, so I tend to use either my phone or my sons laptop for anything that my phone can’t deal with.

One thing that caught my eye was the ability to use a C usb card reader cable allowing easy transfer of photos or video which will be extremely handy with my track footage, that’s one thing I struggled with this year.

2. I've been eyeing them up for six months as my current one is getting long in the tooth. Everyone in work absolutely raves about them and I've not heard a bad word other than one person saying the large size model is a bit too big for him and he wishes he got the smaller one. The only reason I havn't bought one is because I want the cellular one and the overall price is something ridiculous like £1600 which is simply more than I can justify. I nearly bought the last model on a clearance price at the airport but the new iPad pros are significantly better than the last so I think I'm just going to wait until these are available cheaper before making the jump.

3. I’d be going through EE on a monthly contract so the initial outlay won’t be anything to worry about. It then gives us data to use out and about which will be great for our daughter, at the moment she either goes on my phone or the missus’s phone and drains our data.

4. I’ve always managed with Wifi. On the occasions when Wifi is not available I teather the iPad to my iPhone and use the data from that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. :scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

The thought of a child browsing through my phone :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Depends what you do with it. If you use a laptop only for browsing and very light creative tasks then iPad will deliver in spades and is easy to live with. If you need a computer then you will fight the thing... for music / photos / videos it depends if you’re happy to live solely in the Apple ecosystem, if you are then you’ll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I had the old 12.9 which in retrospect I found too big. I’ve now gone for the latest 12.9 Pro and it’s just the right size. Bought a cover from Amazon at a 10th of the price of the Apple one and the whole package just works.
    I work in the Tech sector and use it daily in anger to run multiple apps that are using a lot of cpu, it’s not missed a beat.
    The fact that the screen to watch Netflix on the commute home is amazing is just a bonus.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have both 9.7 and the 12.2. Both Pros, and a world better The]an the gen 3 I had before them. Faster and the screen is so much better.

For home use only, I’d have the smaller version. Multi tasking still works well, videos are high hd, camera and vids are good.

Can it replace a laptop? Usual stuff like international, reading, productivity stuff (get the pen if you intend to use as a tool it’s like writing on paper, it’s incredible!) it’s ace. Great for writing and reviewing docs (well, passable). Terrible for excel type work.

My wife now has the small one and it acts as a tv in the kitchen or bath, as a cook book, as a travelling companion for internet and reading.

I use the larger one for work as much as home (more so). All my notes are there, I annote pdf and other documents on it, watch videos, surf... I use MS Notes because most at work do and it’s easier for typing (I also use the keyboard) but for writing prefer GoodNotes 4

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I have the 12.9 pro with keyboard and it is invaluable :upyeah:

10. Agree :upyeah:

11. Got the Ipad pro 12.9

Spilled coffee on my Mac and went in to Apple store for a replacement in December. Was sceptical at 1st but when I talked to the genuinely help full sales guy, it seemed the Ipad would be suitable, (mostly emails, browsing) as I dont work any more. Processing power and storage great. More than happy. There is a nice keyboard/case thing available if you cant get away with the touch screen. Took me an hour or so and now happy without the buttons!
    Keeping my coffee well away now...

12. Another thing, for those that have them on contract from a provider. Is it the same scenario as with a mobile phone, once the contract is up you can upgrade, get a better deal etc etc?

So for example, let’s say I get one with 2GB limit and feel that’s not enough, I’m presuming I’m stuck with that until the contract is up unless I purchase extra data each month when it happens? Which is expensive.

I’ll weigh up the options and decide what will work best, I might not even get one but I’ll see.

13. I have WiFi only and tether my phone. Once in a blue moon I miss having direct connection but it wasn’t worth the hardware or monthly cost imho

I have 20gb on a sim only deal on my phone that costs about £23 pm

• Like Like x 1
  14. I just tether to phone, get a 100gb of data so may as well use that.
    Is this Something you’ve considered?

15. Yeah I considered that, only issue would be my data is only 8GB and as it is, my daughter runs that down a fair bit if we’re out and about, driving for certain distances.

Our internet at home also plays up often so that in itself runs down the data on the phone. We live in the back of beyond so the internet isn’t the best.

What I could do is get the 2GB and if that were to run out then tether to my phone or my partners phone.

16. Why not look sim only deal? Buy iPad outright and put what you like in there.

Btw if you have someone at Uni, unidays offer a discount for students. Think I got 5% of then iPad and 10% off accessories

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Or teacher :upyeah:

18. giffgaff works out good for Data with an unlocked phone. 20gb was costing me £20 month. I make free calls to other mobiles, even from France to UK mobiles. It is flexible, as in can change the plan month by month without being locked in.
    This was my link to emails/internet etc (via tethering) until 2 weeks back when we got internet installed.
    https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/int...MIydPWgoei4AIVyeFRCh3TZQCSEAAYASAAEgL69_D_BwE

Do Not Sell My Personal Information