1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Is The Dvt Really That Unreliable??

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DBD1199, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Hi Guys,

I've ordered a new 1200s Touring and after having a good look around here i'm beginning to think it maybe not such a great idea..This will be my 3rd Duc, first being a 999 then an 1199 which only left me stranded once in 15000 miles i've put on her since new..
    I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for sports bike so this will be my first venture into different territory. The Panigale has taken me to the Pyrenees and the Alps and all over UK with very little issue and was hoping the MTS would do the same but with less fuel stops and more comfort...
    Main issues i can see are bad fuel senders and i've heard there have been a few issues with throttle controls...
    I'm hoping these are just a few isolated issues on "friday assembled" machines and not the norm.....
    4 weeks until delivery and i'm beginning to have second thoughts.....
    They cant all be trouble can they???

2. not from my experience , had lots of niggles but on long runs mines been sweet........no throttle or fuel sender issue
    just done 2600 miles in less than a week through rain snow and sunshine to mugello and back
    bike was great and I loved it.
    I am off to the dealers for new disks this weekend , however that's what your warranty is for
    on 7k miles now and still like the bike a lot , never been stranded anywhere on it......
    I also had a lot of doubts reading the stuff that's on here and there's no doubt you certainly enter into a certain amount of risk when buying any ducati.
    Enjoy your bike and its positives and just deal with the negative glitches as with all new bikes......

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I thought the same when I got my 848 having read about them. It has never had a warranty claim or failure out of warranty (touches wood) in coming up for 6 years and I'm sure the Multi is the same for many people.

Problem with forums is that many owners only visit them when they have a problem and they are looking for fixes etc and so it can look like a tale of woe. I don't know how many DVT's have been sold but I reckon a lot more than many sports models so it amplifies the number of posted issues.

I'm not saying it hasn't had problems, and I don't currently own one to give an opinion on the bike itself, just that you have to put what you read on forums into perspective. you can look on most bike forums and get the impression they are unreliable sheds regardless of make or model.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. IMHO no

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. As stated on another thread, mine has done 10500 miles without a single problem that has prevented my ride. yes its had the fuel sender replaced ( which seems to be a solid fix) The trips resetting on power off fixed and the replacement side stand but thats it. BTW I had two 1200 Sports before the DVT and did 35K miles in 5 years and the only real probs were a duff battery ( missed my ferry) on the first after 19K miles and a dropped valve collet on the second when I revved it from cold in my garage, replaced under warranty in 2 weeks. So all in all I think the multi can hold its own against most other bikes reliability wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The multistrada has saved Ducati so no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ;)

#7 Hyperextended, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2016
  8. I have had my Standard DVT (touring and urban packs), since June 2015 so one of the early ones off the production line. Covered 5000 miles never let down.

fuel sender replaced, no further issues
    trips resetting software fix, no further issue
    side stand recall, replaced, no further issue
    1 litre of oil in 5000 miles

I understand there was a recent seat recall but mine was not affected.

Previous bikes kawasaki kmx125, honda cbx550 and for 5 years was a bmw f800st an excellent bike except I would say I outgrew it and found it a tad boring.

IMHO the dvt is fantastic,fun, full of character, a great all round road bike.
    My next bike will probably, hopefully, maybe be a pikes peak

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. My 2016 bike has been pretty good. It lost connection to the key fob for a few weeks, then rather weirdly corected itself, and I have the sticky front brake issue which I only notice when pushing the bike around, other than that no issues at all.

10. I agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. These are my experiences with a 5 month old DVT:

Negatives-
    Fuel sender fault.
    Hands free fault.
    Ruptured seam in the fuel tank.
    Screen sliding mechanism now broke.
    Lacks grunt up to 6k. (Standard sprocket)
    Vibrates up to 4k.
    Crap heated grips (if fitted)

Only the leaking tank has left me stranded though, and this was a one off, as I have never of heard of it happening to anyone else.

Poor dealer workmanship (very poor).

Positives-
    Looks good, sounds good.
    Handles really good.
    When on form it is a fantastic bike to ride when its over 6k in 3rd gear up. (Standard sprocket)
    My wife finds it comfy as a pillion.
    It is a comfy bike to ride.
    Handles just as good two up.
    42t sprocket made a great difference up to 6k

If I could wind back the clock, I would choose a different manufacturer, as I have never been to a dealer so much with any other bike, and it's not character, it's a pain in the a**e and time consuming.
    But there isn't another adventure sport bike out there that does it for me like the multistrada.

I think I have just been unlucky with mine, as there are plenty of owners that have been trouble free. You may be lucky, you may not, it's a £13k gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks for the honest and concise replies...Kinda feel less worry but still a bit of apprehension...
    I have faith in the dealer i use as i have been a repeat customer for a number of years and always found them to be pretty helpful and fair..
    Looking at some of the horror stories on here i can see some of you guys have received pretty awful service from their dealers, which for me is unforgivable..
    I guess as with any new bike/car there will be good ones and bad ones...
    Just hope i get a good one...

Cheers

13. My 2015 bike is at 7000 miles now. It's had the fuel level sender replaced, which is now working fine. The sidestand recall was done along with some software updates while I waited by my excellent dealer, Snells.

The bike is amazing. 42T sprocket on the back and you're sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Just in the interest of balance , Ducati Manchester have always been great with me ( except for the shitty courtesy bike on the odd occasion) ;)

15. Like others, had my 2015 S model since last Aug, and apart from the side stand recall, and fuel sensor, I've had no issues. Granted I've only 3000 miles on the clock, but just back from a 1100 mile trip thru Spain and across the Pyrenees into France - all trouble free. Had a few doubts myself before setting off, due reading on here all the 'negatives' and issues others have had - and the fact that my 5yr old 2010 Multi blew a piston ring the previous year when touring in Spain !! - but in fairness the bike (the DVT) never missed a beat and was a treat to ride.

As others have said, I'm now on my second Multi, and have been an owner since they came out in 2010, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them... Good luck with yrs. Enjoy..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Love mine to bits , no issues (fingers crossed) and miles of smiles !!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Not in my experience, at least for the bike itself. It's had a few firmware updates, and I'm waiting for my seat to be replaced under a warranty recall, but it hasn't let me down yet - rain, ice, snow, whatever.

The plastic panniers are a different matter. The boxes themselves are surprisingly sturdy, but the mounting system is fragile. I'm waiting for Touratech to release their system - it'll be less aerodynamic, but I can live with that if I don't have to hold my breath while mounting/unmounting them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Y'know what would be great? If we started some sort of reliability questionnaire for all the DVT (initially anyway) owners and had all members of the forum complete it. I think the results would be fascinating. Any IT geeks out there want to knock up a web-page survey on that? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I love the idea, and if you could get such a comprehensive survey, it'd be a very valuable resource - not least to Ducati themselves. However, and as much as I hate to be a wet blanket...

As a career IT geek, I can assure you that the hard part will be getting "all members of the forum [to] complete it," especially as it would involve remembering to update it as things go wrong. My background in stats and methodology can't help but spot the same selection bias that we see in the forum, which is that the people who _do_ have problems will be over-represented, making the bikes look less reliable than they actually are.
    I thought about side-stepping the self-reporting problem by tapping into dealer and mechanic databases, but a)you're relying on their reliability, and b)many problems are fixed without their help, or just lived with, so that's an incomplete source.

What it _would_ tell you, though, is what problems the forum members _complain_ about most. And if you can get an accurate enough number of the total owners active on the forum at any time, that could still be a useful resource.

So if you're really interested, you don't even need to be an IT geek to set up the survey. Just check out SurveyMonkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or something of the kind, and spend a little time thinking over the information that you actually want, and the questions that'll get you that information.
    As a hint, when a customer asks for help with something that broke and you ask whether they changed anything, their answer will almost always be "no," right up until you prove they actually did. Then it becomes "oh, that. Yeah, but that wouldn't have..." :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. To be fair, if you come onto a set of forums and ask for details on the faults then that's all you're going to hear. People that have something to complain about (rightly or wrongly) are going to be much more vocal than the thousands of happy customers that won't say a word. I've seen this so many times on other forums for other models - heck I've even asked on other forums for other models myself.

Personally, with 5500 miles on my DVT which was brand new in February this year my own experience has been overwhelmingly positive, and that is after covering 10K miles on Jap bike in the previous year on Yamaha's current top selling MT-09 Tracer.

On my Tracer I had to have the rear shock replaced under warranty and so it's not been without issue.

On the Multi DVT I initially had an engine management light come on, which the dealer said would clear once the bike started to get opened up a little - and they were right, it did and it's ran perfectly all the time.

I have had a weeping fork seal - the dealer had it back a few days after I reported it and replaced the fork seal - no messing. They turned it around in a morning and it's been perfect ever since. To be completely fair, this can and does happen on almost any bike you care to think about, particularly with fancy suspension.

So apart from my 1st service, I've had cause to return to the dealer once in 5500 miles. One way to look at this is that had this been a jap bike then I would have been back to the dealer at 6000 miles (sooner with some models) anyway because a service would have been due. The other benefit of going back to the dealer sooner than later was that my bike also received the latest DVT engine management software - which has absolutely transformed the bike.

So, from an almost equivalent mileage perspective I've not been back to the dealer any more frequently than with a Japanese bike. I'm not anticipating needing to go back any sooner for the next service other than at a normal annual service interval as my mileage rate will reduce over the coming months - I would have been back to the dealer at least twice a year with a jap bike, even without any issues.

Last year I had a Tracer, but in the previous year I had a Kawasaki Versys 1000 which was in and out of the dealers like you wouldn't believe - trying to resolve an issue where the engine was vibrating so bad it was destroying the bike over time - I was so miffed with Kawasaki and their inability to even acknowledge the issue (even with full support from the dealer) that I cancelled my KH2 order. So at this point I'm not accepting any generalisation that Ducati is any less reliable than any other brand.

• Agree Agree x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information