1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 S Is This A Flashback Bad Dream, Or Another Monster 1200s

Discussion in 'Monster' started by flatairbag, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Only caught a glimpse of the Ducati launch yesterday online.
    Am I right in thinking for 2017 they will re-launch the Monster 1200S.. having launched the Monster 1200S already in 2014?

Im not understanding something..
    Ducati bring out a Monster 1200, bring out an S version of it..
    ... then bring out a bell an whistles R version (our fastest best monster yet)
    ... then rub it in the nose of MonsterR owners (yeah guess what bike I own) by bringing out an updated S version the following year including a Quickshifter, Fuel gauge, Cornering ABS, colour display and other swanky sounding goodies the R version does not even have.

It could all be a bad dream and I got the wrong end of the stick...
    Or if it is true.. Without doubt Ducati will for free of charge upgrade all of those swanky new "S version features" that they left off the R version ..

2. Hi Al, I was also confused and disappointed to some extent as I too have a 1200R.

Even the dealer was confused why they have put a quickshifter on the new 1200S as he was always led to believe that the Monster / Multistrada engines/gearboxes couldn't take the strain. When the 1200R came out, the press couldn't understand why it DIDN'T have a quickshifter in fact.

Have to wait to see if the quickshifter can be retro fitted and also the cornering ABS too I guess.

Oh - and whilst I was at the dealer, someone who was ready to order an R texted them to say hold on, they might want the S instead !!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah its a real shitty thing to do , glad I didn't shell out for the R a few months ago , I was soooooooo close to doing it as well

4. Especially when the dealer assured me no new Monster 1200 changes were coming out next year!

5. In fairness, perhaps they didn't know ?

6. Bad form by Ducati, I 'believe' the new S is more powerful as well isn't it?

I'd be writing a very stern letter to ducati....Although I'm sure it won't get far

The problem is even now they're being left behind in the naked category, Ktm have just relaunched the 1290 Superduke with quick shifter and auto blipper, 177bhp.....gulp

7. It's 150BHP - even they COULDN'T make it more than the Most Powerful R version

8. I think the R will still have 10bhp ish over the expected 2017's "S Version". In fact that's about all the R version will cling onto.. that and a steering damper!
    But what is frustrating is the rehash of the S looks to contain many new features and technology that will bring improvements over the R model.. and Im bugged by it.

It woudnt annoy me as much if it was the new "Monster 1300S version" or whatever.. but a re-hash of the 1200S model to improve it over the "top of the model range R version" has taken some unique special factor away from the R version.. at least it feels like that to me as a new owner with only 200 miles on the clock!!!!

Damm, should have got the Tuono after all :tonguewink:

#8 flatairbag, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  9. Oh I don't know about that, they've just refreshed the Tuono at intermot

• Like Like x 1
  10. Has the price of the S been released?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. No but probably no-one will end up buying one... they will be picking up the flood of used "R" versions instead :smiley:

12. Are you seriously saying that you enjoy your bikes less just because someone else might have something that's new, bigger or different? Are you that insecure? Have ducatis really been reduced to flashy trinkets that are no more than male jewellery for the vain and flash? Maybe you should get off the merry go round and buy a bevel (that's an older bike from the days when model runs lasted more than a few weeks)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. As far as the bin in the reception ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Put it this way... Ive owned numerous Ducati's and for an example; when I bought a 998S it always stayed a 998S and it was always superior in additional assets over the 998 base model, just as the 998R was to the 998S model.

Here we have a situation where the "R Version" of the 1200 Monster range is being overshadowed in superior features by a re-visited "S Model" of the range.

I would not have any problems if the Monster 1200R stayed the top spec bike of the 1200's, and next years bike was a different Monster model altogether.

#14 flatairbag, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Or the toilet in the factory

16. I fully agree

It'd be different if there was a few years between them, but it's about a year and they've pretty much devalued the R in terms of resale simply because of the S refresh.

17. So does that mean then, that the next version of the R will also get a quick-shifter and upgraded dash? I recon it will. If not the S will have more bling and would probably take sales away from the R

18. And the new S is more svelte :upyeah:, sorry just saying like :smileys:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. The existing R model is still the most powerful bike in the range - 160hp as opposed to 150hp for the new S. But presumably some time next year they'll launch a new R as well.

Can't say I'm surprised - given that I got a really good deal on my S in July I had my suspicions that an upgraded model would be along soon. Ultimately I bought a bike that was a good deal at the time, and is still an incredible bike.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Who the feck came up with Liquid Concrete Grey or as MrC puts it Lacquered Primer :Wideyed: :Vomit: :D

• Funny Funny x 4
Do Not Sell My Personal Information