1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Is This A Prototype?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by GrantShortland, Dec 23, 2016.

?
  1. Yes - rare as hens teeth - buy it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - junk - don't touch

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 999

#1 GrantShortland, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. Seems a little vague given the factory can date most bikes way back before 2001 and any ancilliary info that goes with that date, such as engine numbers. I would have thought there would be more documentation on this bike and the frame number looks at best an afterthought. If it's a pre-production bike it may have been used to provide illustrations in the workshop manual as they often end up being a donor in many cases. I would want to dig a bit deeper if it were me buying it. Also without a stamped frame number presumably it has not been registered, so I am curious why the need for an engine change in 2006 and the cheesy graphics, for a bike that has, or should have seen, very little road use, other than pre-production testing. Also almost all the factory prototypes don't run coloured bodywork if they are out on the public roads.

#2 Topolino, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. Why would you want it? Unless it's very cheap. It obviously never had that sticker kit on as a pre production bike.

I work for a car manufacturer and pre production vehicles are used for all sorts of trials, from noise testing and anti corrosion to being driven into walls. Find a regular, nice 999 if you want one.

4. :Bucktooth:

5. That was for sale on Car & Classic a year ago - some mention it didn't have a frame number, just the number on the paper - if the number is on the headstock it is a pre production bike - not a prototype but one of circa 30 that went to the press for tests / articles, manufactured in 2002 I think, could have been earlier. All these bikes had 11 digit numbers, the 5 original prototypes had 5 digit frame numbers :Angelic:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. It's never been Road registered as far as I am aware ?

7. Can you remember how much it was up for sale for. They say it's pre production bike

8. £6000 but I proved the engine was not an R as they were advertising - we were going to deal at £4500 via a third party. If the chassis number is there it is a pre production bike as mentioned - it has been changed since leaving the factory of course.

9. I'm not entirely sure about the life of pre production bikes but looking at the bike itself, but whats caught my eye is the frame I have circled in yellow

IMG_0360[1].JPG

10. The original production had castings here instead of tubes - changed very early due to cost. Some production bikes left with these frames to Australia. You didn't notice the fuel cap then? :)

11. The VIN history states MOT 09711-996 02 production date 17/07/01

12. The photo's are the same garage that was selling it before too.

13. The tyres are slicks and have been well used so clearly not "stored away" as you have been told. This has scam written all over it so my advice would be to walk away. Andy

14. What does that mean?

15. They want £12500 for it now plus £300 delivery

• WTF WTF x 3
  16. Don't know that's what the factory say is in the history file ?

17. that's different.

18. It's worth considerably less than a regular 999 in my eyes. Why do they think this commands a premium? @Exige 's £4,500 seems far more like the true value. Walk away.

19. 3 of these sold at Bonham's for circa £5500 each 3 years or so ago: all confirmed by the factory as pre production and purporting to show similar frame numbers which were obscured by added red paint - one was a 5 digit vin prototype :)

20. It's a 998 fuel cap on a 999 tank :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information