1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Sprocket Still In Ok Condition?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by michel couque, May 11, 2021.

1. Hi all.

As it’s been quite a while since the last c&s kit was put in, ie over 25000 miles ago! I can’t decide if the sprocket is needing changing. Bearing in mind I’m having to budget carefully nowadays, if i need a new C&S kit I need time on how to tell the other half we’re (she)not repainting the kitchen.

And before you say, after this weekend’s ride outs the c&s will get a thorough paraffin clean.

TIA as always. 7590F451-2621-4652-BDF9-D6480A8056AF.jpeg 7590F451-2621-4652-BDF9-D6480A8056AF.jpeg 7590F451-2621-4652-BDF9-D6480A8056AF.jpeg

2. I would change that.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Looks worn to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Hooking can be hard to spot sometimes , but look closely at the tips of the teeth
    in your photos .
    Some are noticeably more pointed than others .

I'm sure this is worse with the big power pulses from a large twin , compared to the
    more evenly spread load from a four cylinder engine ...... but just a theory .... :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. I see that the broadly semicircular chain-link recesses are a little elongated - i.e. worn.

6. How is the chain? If you are planning to replace both, I'd keep using both. The sprocket is past its best but unless you're replacing just the sprocket, might as well get a good few more miles and replace them both (chain & sprocket) at the same time?

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. The chain is fine, hardly ever needs adjustment, about 5 times in 25000 miles. Can’t hardly pull it away from rear sprocket so it could have a lot of life left. I think the chain will vastly outlast the sprockets. I only ever change as a full set.

8. I think also for the first time I have spotted what look like small metal particles collecting in the gunk on the swing arm, bike was properly clean a week ago so that’s the last 500 miles or so.

As @Jezz900ie said it could be worse, but it’s maybe starting to feel a little clunky down there, so will start saving for a new kit and break the news to the better half.

As always thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have seen a lot worse. (And ridden with a lot worse in my youth)
    I wouldn't put a new chain on that as it will quickly wear to the worn sprocket. But if I was on a budget and not regularly using all the power of the engine (track days etc.) I'd just clean, lube and keep using it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Michel,
    Have you checked the front sprocket??

I would wager it’s a fair bit worn than the rear, the front has a lot harder life..

I keep this front sprocket as a reminder not to assume anything..

F695FE3E-2E0B-4A80-A253-9639F431909C.jpeg

2001 ? I think KTM 990 SMT, I’d just bought it before we were due to go on a 10 day European trip, only done 11,000 miles, fitted with a Scottoiler chain and rear sprocket seemed fine.
    Be okay for this trip, will still have less than 15,000 miles on it when I get back, no problem

Day 2 of the trip and the chain was really slack, so I adjusted it that night.
    Same happened the next day,..and the one after that, after about the 5th day I was seeing metal dust on the back wheel and swingarm, the sintered rollers in the chain were breaking down, original fitment KTM chain, utter rubbish!!
    So I had to virtually nurse it back home after it wouldn’t adjust up any further, just made it home, but I got the biggest shock when I went to replace the set and got a look at the front sprocket...
    It went away as a 16T and came back as an 11T. !!!
    I have never before or since had a chain and sprocket set deteriorate as fast as this thing did :astonished:

I would have a look at your front sprocket as well, good luck :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Have a look at the front just incase. They are cheap to replace if a little more worn than the rear. Then use them up!

• Like Like x 1

12. I had a similar story on my 900ss a few years back. Couldn’t understand why I was having to adjust the chain every refuel, front had lost a tooth too.

13. I've always worked on the principle that a chain and sprockets live together and die together. I'd change the full kit.

New sprocket + old chain = accelerated wear imo

They're too important to compromise or risk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bite the bullet - 25K miles on a C&S...get a new one if you have any concerns whatsoever.
    Plus - new C&S looks sparkly whereas that looks shitty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. it’s getting the paraffin treatment tomorrow, normally 3 x a year

16. I work on the principle, worn sprockets wear chains, worn chains wear sprockets, so it would be a false economy to change one without the other!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. As I mentioned earlier I agree and always renew as a set

18. Thats still good sir, you still have time just clean it and keep a eye on it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. I’d as I’m sure you will check the front sprocket as Poucher advised hate to think the damage if it slipped off the front. However if like me funds are stretched I would still run that setup a little longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Personally, i’d replace the c&s kit sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information