1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Car Insured For Towing A Trailer ?

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by Android853sp, Mar 15, 2021.

1. It’s that time of year again and I’m going through the ball ache of trying to get value for money insurance for my car. Direct Line is by far the best quote I’ve found to date, saving £75 over my current renewal but at the last minute, I decided to read their terms and conditions. In the policy small print, damage caused to the policy holder’s car whilst towing is specifically excluded ! Spoke with my current broker about their cover under the same circumstances and their attitude is that your car is covered fully comprehensively and your trailer isn’t. Asked the nice lady if she could reduce my premium to keep my business and she got it within £14. Now need to decide if it’s worth £50 taking out separate insurance for the trailer. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Can’t work out if you mean the car isn’t insured if towing for damage (would be illegal if not 3rd party) OR if the trailer isn’t covered.

so, have an accident and towing your bike: will they pay for the damage to your car?

3. Separate insurance for towing a trailer.... That's a new one.

Very interested in the outcome here.

4. Liability for damage to a third party or third party property whilst towing (a trailer under a specified size) is covered in the Direct Line policy terms and conditions. Liability for damage to the policy holder’s car, trailer and trailer contents is specifically excluded. LV terms and conditions cover damage to the policy holder’s car but not the trailer or its contents. Andy

5. Seems to me to boil down to checking the terms and conditions of your car policy (under what they don’t cover) and looking at insuring the trailer separately for repairs to it, although the policy I found only covers ‘market value’ and doesn’t offer a replacement option if the trailer is more than 5 years old. You would also need to look at the ts & cs of your bike insurance to check if it’s covered whilst being towed. Andy

#5 Android853sp, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  6. My car insurance is up for renewal shortly. Thanks to you I will make a point of asking for trailer coverage.
    I sense I don't have it now and never have, although I am frequently towing trailers with bikes on board.

Thanks for the hedsup.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information