1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isopropyl Alcohol, Ratio?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mark9, Oct 29, 2018.

1. i have read that isopropyl alcohol added to petrol does the same job as Wynns dry fuel, does anyone know how much should be added per gallon ?, cheers Mark.

2. I tend to use methylated spirits around a capful every 2 months or so

3. To what end??

4. To remove water from the fuel. Alcohol has an affinity for water which dissolves in it.

• Useful Useful x 3
  5. Aha, does this just work on its own then, no need to skim/drain off or anything??

6. Is that in an empty or full tank?
    Thanks

7. Alcohol is almost the same as methanol. I thought that people did not like methanol on their fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  8. It is hydroscopic.
    Does it evaporate as readily as alcohol.
    Presumably the idea is that the alcohol combines with the water, evaporates and takes the water with it.
    Once the water has combined with the alcohol, does it then float on top of the petrol?
    It would have to in order to evaporate.

9. Hygroscopic Oldie. :p (teehee)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Hygroscopic chemicals absorb water; they love water. ... Normal isopropyl alcohol (IPA, or rubbing alcohol) is infinitely hygroscopic. :eek::splat:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Iso-propyl (Propanol), Ethanol and Methanol, Butanol, Pentanol, Hexanol and Heptanol are all alcohols.
    Water dissolves in neat alcohol, up to point. At a certain alcohol/water ratio the alcohol then dissolves in the water although not all alcohols are soluble but methanol, ethanol and propanol are completely miscible.
    I think the idea is that the alcohol absorbs the water and the alcohol/water mix is then miscible with the fuel allowing it to go through the fuel system.
    I could be completely wrong of course.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Miscible - Word of the Day

13. It is ethanol (bio-fuel) which is in petrol at either 5% or 10% depending upon which grade is used.

Ethanol is an alcohol and it attracts water (hygroscopic) which is why you get water in your petrol if you leave it too long - it can take as little as 30 days for a tankful to be ruined - say if you left the filler cap open - obviously slower if closed.

By adding more alcohol the problem is only compounded. If alcohol is added to water, it mixes with water and is only diluted, so you still have water.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. It is called hygroscopic @Hughdg Hydroscopic has a different meaning altogether.

15. This be the theory

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. I saw the heading and was going to add, it all depends on how much coke and ice you put in :D

17. Hygroscopic Versus Hydroscopic. You may encounter the word "hydroscopic" used in place of "hygroscopic". Although hydro- is a prefix meaning water, the word hydroscopic is a mis-spelling and is incorrect. A hydroscope is an instrument used to take deep sea measurements.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Not disagreeing in any way, just a mobile phone screen jumping around ramdomly causing mayhem as ever. Well aware of correct meaning :upyeah:@bootsam

• Like Like x 1
  19. At what stage does one add the olive to this martini ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Strange place to 'come out' TT.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information