1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Issue On Qs Downshift

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by markm, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Hi All,

Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong? Downshifting is very hesitant, having to apply a lot more pressure than usual to get the bike to shift down, with some shifts not wanting to engage at all. Clutching is fine, so appears to be QS related.

Pissed now as the weather is bloody amazing :-(

2. Is DQS downshifting still enabled on the dash?
    Could be a faulty sensor in the little black box on the shift rod. Can you feel the spring-loaded rod moving into and out of the sensor box when you move the lever up and down with the engine off?
    Just ride it and use the clutch if all else fails. Sounds so much better with a manual throttle blip!

3. Yes, dash showing it’s enabled.

Booked to go in to JHP in a couple of weeks time to investigate.

Did give the bike a wash beforehand, wondering if water could be the culprit.

4. Just checked and you can hear the microswitch clicking on both down and up gear changes.

5. have you checked the bolts holding linkage etc are all tight? A tiny bit of looseness causes glitches

6. The "logic" in the QS relies on the throttle being fully shut. If you're trying a open throttle shift, then you'll need to clutch it. Even partial throttle opening will cause it to "clunk" as the gearbox isn't being unloaded with an ignition cut.
    As a rule of thumb, I've stuck to only downshifting with the QS when on the brakes..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Nah, it's not throttle related; it's an instinctive somethings-wrong moment as normally down shifts require so little pressure

8. The increase in pressure is because the gearbox isn't being unloaded. Could be the sensor is failing, but as it's irregular and no errors are present (I assume) that seems unlikely. There is a SW update for the DQS, that might be worth getting installed. If the bike is seeing all but a couple of degrees of throttle, then it won't cut and you'll get a heavy foot load.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I had something like this with mine, I could hear the micro-switches clicking and I checked continuity with a meter and it appeared to be working. One give away was the dash showed a QS error. I put a new QS rod with switches on and the problem went away. Mine is a 2015 and the part number for the one I replaced the original with is different - maybe they have changed the design?

10. TPS reset maybe?

11. Fly by wire... no reset needed. If you have a touch of throttle on, then the ecu will see it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well, just been up and down the road a few times and the QS is working without issue now. IDHAFC as to why. She's be out tonight for a few hours and i'll see if the problem re-occurs.

13. You said earlier that you had washed it. Any trapped moisture has probably evaporated in this hot weather.

You could try washing it again to see if the problem comes back... :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Not bloody likely!!! :)

15. Damn, after about an hour of riding last night problem re-occurred. It’s intermittent in nature.

16. Hi Mark,is your QS Problem sorted?

17. No it's still not right. Was told by JHP that there's a shortage of QS from the factory and would be September before they could get a new one.

18. I orderered one on the 7th august and was told it would be 2 weeks, rung last week to check and was told possibly next couple of days but more likely september not impressed and wish id looked into other q/s

19. What symptoms where you getting?

20. The usual, major hesitancy on upshift.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information