1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue With The Ignition

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Lyo, May 15, 2020.

1. Hello Guys
    I have an issue with my ignition for some time now. sometimes I switch on the bike, and when I press the ignition, nothing happens. I can hear just a sound (see the video I attached)
    luckily I have my friends next door and they help me to jump started
    it might be the ignition switch (a bad cable connection?) also they told me It might be the stand sensor

Does anyone knows what it is

2. What is the battery like?
    Voltage on / off and when you press the start button.

3. sometimes it is 12.5V and sometimes less I might have an electrical leak too. the thing is that I might started all right, but if go to the gas station for example, it might not start again, and does that on the video

4. Bizarre at it may seem 12.5v on a 12v battery isn't fully charged. I can't remember the maths involved but IIRC 12.5v is about 80% and a fully charged healthy one would be somewhere around 12.8 to 13.5v. Doesn't seem much difference I know, but I'm sure there will be an electrical guru along shortly who'd be able to explain.

By the time you get down to about 12.3v you're going to be on the verge of a dead battery, or at least one that will struggle to turn over a v-twin. The resting voltage will also be significantly higher than that of the battery when under load, so sometimes gives a false impression of it's state of health.

Modern batteries are also designed to give their all right up to the point they die, so often you get no warning. I took my car in for some work and an MOT last year, went to drive it away and the battery was dead. It had been in the car for about 8 years and the mechanic had literally just started it to move it out if if the workshop ready for collection. I tried to change it but it refused to accept a full charge overnight, so a new battery it was :(

Low battery voltage can also throw up a whole host of weird malfunctions on bikes with modern electronics. If the battery charges Ok off the bike, then your guess about a parasitic electrical leak or bad earth connection is probably correct.

#4 Samurai, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Pop over to Heathrow at the weekend and I'll diagnose / fix it... You can buy me a beer when the pubs are open again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Are you an electrical guru ? :) I hope you are
    well I don't guarantee you that I will come this weekend, I don't know if it starts haha

7. My friends told me to buy a new battery, which I will do soon. The one that I have its the classic YUASA and its 4 years old.
    The thing is, am I going for the same ? or for Lithium ? I was thinking to buy the SHORAI, which is around 170 £
    I read that lithium butteries when they are low you just charge them and they are new again, also they are very good with cold weather.….generally im a bit confused to tell you the truth haha

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Electronics design, HNC... been in the design or fixing game all my life. Specifically Battery control, low power radio and embedded controllers... passionate about bikes.... always with spanners or wires hanging out.

9. Ok you were very convincing :) :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information