1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It’s Been A While

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nigel Machin, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Hi all
    I trust you’re well and keeping safe. It’s been a while since my last update, we’ve been busy settling into our new lives down under :)
    Since Christmas quarantine we’ve found and moved into a house in a leafy suburb purchased a car and I bought a bike to commute the 4.5km to my new job.
    In February I took a job helping out a gardening business, basically hedge trimming and lawn mowing, bloody hard work, it felt like I’d been in the gym every day!! I lost the weight I’d gained through lockdown now under 12st from 13st 6 in March last year.
    I didn’t want to get back into sales and applied for and landed a role as facilities and maintenance lead with a brand new luxury retirement village
    http://rosebymoran.com.au/
    I’m now responsible for the upkeep of the heritage gardens and the facilities for the residents including indoor pool and spa, gym and private cinema.
    Here’s a few photos and apologies in advance for my chosen “commuter”
    C4721339-6A97-40D1-B048-7878FC15EA0C.png AAD7D11A-9EDF-4BA9-AF54-2458D3569D72.png 72F25A7A-E6C2-47C9-9DB1-DA1C41EBA903.jpeg 4DF48A4C-3B53-478A-8578-89E4F095E883.jpeg DFA5BEAD-6FE3-43E9-B976-EEB1CE8022BC.jpeg 798C2736-3889-4B23-B96B-A104F2305427.jpeg C3CB3216-E5EB-48A1-8117-5362FEA04A55.jpeg 215363EC-304D-4877-A515-FD55F96DA939.png D4074B68-9C73-4A86-A671-4C0E8B357AF2.png 287F3CBD-96D7-49D9-AAAD-17DBA1D824D3.jpeg

• Like Like x 25
  2. All looks a good choice. Looks like you have made a good decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh wow looks amazing
    Good to see your settling in to your new adventures :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Enjoy'

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bonzer mate!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Good as gold, with no worrying

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fabulous! Keep on enjoying! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  8. hope you are still cycling Nigel, but looks like you will struggle to make time for it! :upyeah:

9. I doubt it. Being able to live your life outdoors (rather than indoors because of crappy weather) makes time for lots more activities. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Unfortunately not had the chance as yet. I could easily ride into work but the 2 direct routes in are either the pacific highway or the A3 mona vale road, both of which have suffered cycling fatalities in the recent past, the quality of driving here is not good to say the very least. That said we will get out when it gets cooler and do some exploring

11. It certainly does Tel, we eat out most nights, autumn now and set for 17deg overnight and 25 tomorrow, I’m still wearing my summer gear to ride into work with my modular flipped up permanently, even thinking of getting an open face helmet and sunnies :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Yeah and that was the plan when we left, both of us having high pressure, long hour jobs just wasn’t an option. My boss gives me grief if I don’t leave on time 8-4, I’ve never worked a standard 38 hr week in my life, more like 60 hrs
    Work life balance here is great

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Looks great, I’d emigrate to Oz if it wasn’t for 2 things, the heat, and the Australians , good luck in your new life, my brother in law and family have been out there for 10 years and love it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. The main thing that puts me off emigrating to Oz is that almost all of the wildlife not only wants to murder you but is also quite capable of doing so.

@Nigel Machin - Your lifestyle sounds awesome. The girlf and I are looking for a way to get the f*ck out of Dodge in the next 5-7 years, so I’m overwhelmed with envy.

15. Living the dream, looks great. Well done for sticking with the plan :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Nice one Nigel, really happy for you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Congrats, that is some post!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Nice :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Good for you:upyeah::upyeah::cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Living the dream Nigel,

If you remember my Daughter lives in Brissy and I’ve been over every Christmas for the past 8 years....except this one :sob:!

I have missed the Aussie lifestyle and the sunshine so much I just can’t put it into words, no chance of getting back over until the end of the year I think, I applied for permission from the Australian high commission about a month ago to visit our Daughter and it came back “ permission denied for the foreseeable future “ ...I was bloody gutted!!
    When we eventually get back over, we’re submitting our application for a retirement visa, I so much want to spend the rest of my life in the sun with the grandsons.

Well done lucky man :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information