1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Icon It Wouldn't Start This Morning

Discussion in 'Scrambler' started by NLDucati, Nov 9, 2018.

1. ...a big 'ENGINE !' warning sign appeared right across the speedo this morning, alongside various warning lights. As soon as I let the clutch out, she died. Simple as that. I know nothing about engines (knowing where the fuel goes is just about my limit!) so any help would be gratefully received. It's a 15 plate, bought used from Metropolis in August. We all know they've gone belly up so I'm assuming my warranty with them is dust now as well. Is an 'ENGINE !' warning sign serious, or am I just being a pin head about the whole thing?

2. 'ENGINE' doesn't mean the engine has gone tits up but one of it's components or sensors isn't working properly.
    These pages from the manual might help you determine what's wrong and you can take it from there.

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 11.20.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 11.20.36.png

3. Thanks Derek...had to leave it at home and bus into work so will leave it till tomorrow to start trying to fathom out what's gone wrong. The whole dial lit up like a Christmas tree so my gut feeling tells me things aren't great. It's totally come out of the blue as it's been fine all week thus far.

4. Who is the warranty with ? It may still be valid . Presuming there was one of course. If not then Ducati may help as it is only 3 years old and only 3 months since you bought it from one of their dealers.

5. Metropolis, who as you'll probably know, have gone bust. They were London's only Ducati dealership. So I really don't know where that leaves me (and all the other poor souls who bought a Ducati from them.)
    My Mrs is super-mechanically minded (and patient): two things I'm not, so I'll have a look with her tomorrow and if things still aren't working, I'll contact Ducati UK direct and see if they can help.

6. Although it could conceivably be something serious, I’ll bet it’s something simple, so don’t panic.
    Dials usually light up with all the warning lights on as part of the start up procedure but don’t stay lit, so you barely notice it.
    I wonder if the dash threw you to the degree that you still had the stand down when you let the clutch out?

7. I had something similar with my Multistrada. It turned out the sidestand sensor was knackered hence the engine cutting out when you release the clutch. The engine warning light as mentioned above is a generic warning.

8. Did Metropolis go bust or close the store ? The company may still exist and be obliged to help . I`m sure Ducati UK will know the answers and I believe at least one person from there uses the forum . @El Toro may be able to point you in the right direction.
    Good luck with it all.

9. You know what...I DID check the stand...I'm sure it was up. Jesus, I hope I'm not that stupid that I left it down while trying to pull away....

10. I'm sure the stand was up when I tried to pull away...just said to the other member that I hope I'm not that stupid...but.....

11. You wouldn’t be the first...

12. If the side stand is down or the switch isn't working it displays 'SD.STND'
    I missed this page:
    Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 12.37.16.png

13. I'll look for that especially tomorrow.

14. @Derek will get you sorted

Do Not Sell My Personal Information