1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jacket Armour

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Ackers, May 19, 2022.

1. So I’ve just picked up a Ducati Dainese IOM 78 jacket but it doesn’t have any armour in it, there are pockets for shoulder, elbow and back.

The question is should I try to get the official (shaped to fit) Dainese armour if I can find out what fits? Or just some generic armour and cut it to shape if need be, and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

2. If you can get D30 to fit I’d recommend that :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I have got this from a jacket that I trashed when wearing over leathers (so the armour shown was not in it). I have no idea if it comes in different sizes; this is from a 48 jacket (38 chest). You (or anybody else) can have it if you just pay the postage. image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. I’ll check the pocket sizes, if it fits that would be great thanks, but would seem a shame to cut it up (think it would turn out pretty messy if it was) if someone could make better use of it?

The pockets are pretty small, shoulders 7”x5.5” and the elbows 9” x 5.5” so I don’t think they’ll fit but thanks for the offer :upyeah:

Looks like I’ll have to get something generic and probably cut it to shape.

#4 Ackers, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  5. The Dainese shoulder armour only offers impact protection over a small surface area, and Dainese protectors are often only level 1.

CE level 2 armour that’s “non-Newtonian” (soft to wear, hardens on impact) would be my choice. However, Dainese jackets usually use Velcro to secure the shoulder armour. FC-Moto sells several SAS-TEC shoulder protectors with Velcro, and one of them should fit Dainese jackets. I don’t know if there’s D30 with Velcro, but SAS-TEC is excellent.

The elbow protection is harder to upgrade because it must fit into the armour pocket. It’s not as soft as SAS-TEC or D30, but Rev’it Seeflex RV10 elbow protectors likely fit Dainese jackets. And Seeflex RV10 is CE level 2. I suggest trying the RV10 elbow armour provided you can return it if it’s not right for you.

#5 Freerange_egg, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. The jacket actually has Velcro sealed pockets like the elbow. Found a large range of stuff on XLMoto, just wish they would list the dimensions :confused:

7. I might be in the minority but I actually really like the under jacket armour vests.
    I picked up the alpine stars one with the chest protection after breaking my ribs quite a few years back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I would consider that if the jacket was for “serious” riding but it’s a retro cafe style jacket for riding the scrambler, sunny afternoon down to the quay for a coffee, that sort of thing

Do Not Sell My Personal Information