1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jaguar X Types

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by noobie, Dec 11, 2017.

1. I may need a run around and my use would be low so I can afford a shitty mpg. A friend of a friend, well a bloke I know who knows a bloke, is selling his 2003 Jaguar X Type 3.0 sport auto with 100,000 miles on the clock with a service history and all the major bills accounted for, it is in mint condition.

I've read shitloads, aware of it's parts and a lot of people going all Nasally saying it's not a proper jag but a mondeo but, many of those giving an opinion seem to not have had one when asked.

So, have you ever had an X-Type, which model, year and your observations of ownership.

2. I know 3 people that have had X Types, all diesels.
    One was constantly back to the menders, one went through the 4 years of ownership with nothing more than regular servicing costs and one had the thick end of 200,000 miles on the clock when it was traded.
    On the downside everyone will assume you're a provincial bank manager, golf club member and probably a mason.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I haven't myself but my dad used to have a 2003 "53" plate 2.5 v6 auto model and he loved it, from what I can remember he hardly had any problems with it and for a large car it shifts quite well

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. my old man had a 2.5 v6 manual 4x4 est brilliant car, not a cheap car to run though, tax was expensive and was crap on fuel but 100% reliable.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I used to have one, a 2003 3.0 Indianapolis sport. Really nice car to drive on the motorway, plenty of room in it and a boot big enough for the obligatory Jag owners golf clubs. If you're happy with that then get it, you'll not be disappointed, lot of car for little money. I didn't keep mine that long because for me, despite it having a 3 litre engine was really gutless. I think this was down to it being a five speed manual box which was too low geared. Also only has a 50litre fuel tank and combine that with crappy MPG means you live at the fuel station and is physiologically torturous on your wallet. My advice would be buy a later model diesel with the six speed box. Oh and be prepared to be called an old git!:p

IMG_4672.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. One out of three ain't bad

Given what I'm normally called and by a few, I'll take that as a compliment.

Thanks chaps for the inputs

7. don't know about the petrol variants, but the 2.0d suffered with injector and turbo problems (my dad has one and has had all these things done in the time of his ownership, along with a/c pump and power steering pump). the 2.2d is a better and more reliable engine. headlamp bulbs are a complete bastard to change (driver's side front has so much "stuff" in the way you end up with a hand that looks like you've tried repeatedly bitch-slapping a tomcat).

overall, not as bad a car as the rep that goes with it, but I guess the 3.0 petrol will be in the £400+ VED bracket.

Pete

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. About this loan then...:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. The road tax is £305 funnily enough. Agree that the later model 2.2 diesels seem to be the popular choice of the type. As to the bulbs, I could always take it to Halfords and let them earn their £4 to change a bulb :D

They are so cheap, this one is less than I paid for fugley. Being on the edge of London you start to notice increases in the congestion charges tends to see certain types of vehicles come up for sale more often.

10. Basically a Mondeo with a posh frock ;-)

11. Ive sold loads of the things, Check the sils for rot and noisy pulleys

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Mondeo is much better built - I choose a V6 Mondeo over an X-Type company car many moons ago :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I owned the lowly 2.1 litre V6 and was really nice to drive but a bit gutless and thirsty. It was a really nice car to drive with the typical Jaguar compliant but taught handling , good interior comfort and generally, a nice place to be. Headlight change is definitely a Halfords jobbie and still not at all bright in comparison to more modern cars.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. yip, rotten sills inner and outer, even when they aint that old,rear sus arms rot out to, front road springs and wheel bearings and calipers need replacing often . the s types are no better. if i where you i would go for it. :upyeah:
    v6 is by far the most popular up here. tho i dont really see any now. i think they are all in the bin.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Petrol ones are £500+ road tax

16. Get an Audi s4 instead!!

17. Have to agree get an Audi or a BMW instead. Better cars and better for your street cred!:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Vehicle
    JAGUAR CARS Jaguar X-Type 3.0, A5
    12 month cost
    £305.00
    Monthly cost: £26.69 – total: £320.25
    6 month cost
    £167.75
    or £160.13 if renewing automatically by Direct Debit

I have no street cred to lose, the mondeo st220 looks interesting

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information