1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joiner Required To Make Internal Doors

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by scratch pervert, Dec 3, 2017.

1. A bit of a long shot... Can anyone recommend a joiner who can make us 10 bepoke internal oak doors?

Property is in Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

2. My friends son does this sort of thing, he's currently making furniture using all the old oak from a church, if you want I'll get his details. He's supposed to be brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
  3. FA North in Nottingham

We have had a couple of custom made doors from them and 2would use them again

Quality and price is good

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Unfortunately I have sold my larger joinery machines otherwise it would have been a nice retirement project.
    I could give a couple of names and numbers if needed, both good but busy.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the replies.

Names and numbers of recommendations by PM would be much appreciated.

6. I'll send them tomorrow, one is based in Bakewell, the other lives in Bakewell but has a workshop in Tansley.
    Steve

7. Thanks Steve

8. Pm sent.
    Steve

9. Not close enough to you and not sure what style you’ve got planned but... here’s ours made by a local guy (Kent).

All oak and we’ve had oak latches on them too. Beautiful work and probably my favourite part of our entire extension.

CECEBBF1-FFB4-4E4C-879A-2682F3087A9A.jpeg BCF5A153-9465-47A4-8455-5632685D24D6.jpeg 3956F273-2FD1-4697-90D7-E1247A41F4D7.jpeg 1D0A36E8-88CB-4C67-BD86-B92C21D35D2E.jpeg 38C6735C-558F-4242-BF31-56677A7B0444.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  10. @JH_1986 Nice doors but I think you need braces on them or they will sag in time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 480DA5F8-B49E-4078-88C3-EE4B49D5F3E4.jpeg
    How would they help? :thinkingface:

12. Come on now, don't tell me you need an explanation. It's obvious inn't : unamused:

13. I know... we have 3 horizontal braces and each brace has numerous screws (covered nicely with pegs).

14. It stops the door having an overbite :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. No JH, those horizontal timbers are known as ledges, the brace is a piece of timber going diagonally from the lower hinge side ledge to the upper clapper side ledge, this is what stops the door dropping.
    Did he fit the doors JH ?

16. No, we went supply only as builder was doing the extension and had quoted to fit all new doors. His joiner that did the work was very good and he said the doors were good. Our garage doors have braces due to the size, but from what we were told/looked up, not entirely necessary on doors that size.

I suppose time will tell.

17. Unless the joiner used dowels ( http://www.milescraft.com/product/dowel-pins-38/ ) between the vertical planks, obviously without glue to allow for expansion/contraction.
    Latches are a nice touch :upyeah:

18. 3 ledges, each with 3 screws and plugs on each panel.

Latches are lovely and he did the WC & bathroom doors with sliding oak locks too.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nice touch with wooden light switch plate @JH_1986. What are you treating the doors with ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information