1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

June 6th

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DucatiScud, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Today 1944 A combined forces assault on Europe was in full flow, without these sacrifices the world would be a very different place.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. For sure, i am wondering if they all could be looking down or from wherever would they be thinking WTF has happened ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I agree, indeed what have we become.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Well we haven’t had a world war for a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I was fascinated by D-Day as a kid, that and Battle of Britain. Heroic stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. do you think there will ever be a hand-fought war on the scale of WWII again? I don't know the answer btw.

7. hope not

8. Brave souls for sure.
    I received this text from a friend today which somes it up for me really...
    75 years ago 155,000 men crossed the channel so the people protesting in London about something that is happening thousands of miles away would be free to be idiots that they're.On day one 5000 were killed,why did they fecking bother.In addition an armada are heading the other way.What will these snow flakes do WHEN civil war breaks out?

#9 XH558, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Don’t believe so, at least not between Nuclear powers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hi Jonathan welcome to the Forum buddy, any connection with Candid camera from way back ?

11. hope not hes dead

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. On this day 6th June 1944 my Grandfather was part of Operation Overlord . He was on board Hms Rodney as it bombarded targets on Normandy. Sadly our trip to normandy was cancelled due to covid 19 . But I'm thinking of him .thanks for your service Stoker Charles Smith RN 75 years anniversary of D-day

• Like Like x 11
  13. I’m supposed to be a cold hearted stubborn SOAB according to some, but watching the interview this am on BBC1 with a vet who spoke to the son of a man for the first time who died in the vets arms on the beaches had me in floods

• Like Like x 3
  14. Brave souls for sure, but also incarcerated for not following orders.
    Tough call.

15. I watched the same interview and it had exactly the same effect on me, we have so much to thank that generation for, it's entirely due to their sacrifice that we are so fortunate today, we must always remember them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. I watched a documentary with a few of the originals telling there story. The one which stayed in my mind was guy who said the commanding officer got them all together before & said we expecting 2 out of 3 of you not to survive the first day. He said "I looked at the fellas either side of me & thought poor bastards"
    Really think a lot of these kid pissing up the cenotaph need a good kicking & lesson in history.

#17 Kevin Tallant, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  17. My Dad Frank Moran BEM was there too. On a 'Hunt Class' Destroyer supporting battleships like the HMS Rodney. Called HMS Bleasedale, he was off Sword and Juno beaches....he was lucky to come back alive. Many didn't....respect to your Grandad Charles Smith RN..... Photo11deBleasdale1NP.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Couldn’t agree more

Do Not Sell My Personal Information