1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just How Long Is 'due Course?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gmoss, Apr 4, 2019.

1. I got a NIP from a gantry camera on the M1 in aug/Sept last year (2018). Filled it in, put my hands up. I was going fast. I got a letter back saying too fast for fixed penalty and I would have to go to court. I would receive summons, or whatever it's called now, in ' due course . I've heard nothing . It's now 4 April 2019. Thoughts?

2. You might be lucky :eyes:

3. I have a small amount of knowledge in this area (and in general)... from research and personal experience after 12 months you are clear... I believe its 6 months for the police to issue a nip and then 6 months for the court to issue a summons/court date.. if you have not had these (providing you havnt changed address/details are correct with the dvla) you are all good...the limitations differ for more serious offences

4. Thread moved

5. Because of government cutbacks in recent years, lots of small local courts have closed which means there have been large backlogs building up so "offenders" have to wait in the queue for months to be processed. Some areas are worse than others so it also depends where in the country you live.
    My guess is they'll get around to dishing out their invitation to attend court eventually so go with that assumption as a worse case scenario and if and when you get an official notification that they've timed out and you're in the clear........then uncork the bubbly!
    (Back in March 2014 I got caught and got to meet the judge in October that year - I'm guessing waiting times haven't improved at all since then, more like the opposite in fact).

Good luck anyway.

6. Too soon to celebrate, maybe. What is the date of the first letter saying you well get a Court Summons?

From memory, they have six months after the first court advisory to inform you of the date of the hearing. Ask me how I know.

7. 14 days for NIP, followed by 6 months for summons to be issued. After 6 months matter becomes statute barred. Due course in this instance means within 6 months since the offence occurred.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pretty sure that ii is six months after the notification that the case is going to Court, rather than the date of the offence ... but happy to be corrected on this (better for the OP that way).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chrisw is ex plod. He may know a thing or two..

10. In the old days, if you had RAC or AA membership they provided free legal advice, they may still do so - worth checking if you have free legal advice via a membership of something.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Date of letter 6th Sept 2018. DVLA details still the same. All correct.. Not moved.

13. So I've been very lucky?
    Lesson learned.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information