1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Remember

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Markduc, Oct 27, 2020.

• Like Like x 9
  1. That’s powerful.
    I wonder what these heroes would think about the state of the UK nowadays.
    I cannot imagine the horrors they had to face.
    I salute them one and all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I had goosebumps watching

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. A family member of mine died in WW1 and WW2 and well you can only imagine(And that wouldn't take much imagining) what they would think of this country now!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Did he die twice then?

In all seriousness, I know of two of my great uncles that died in WW1 and three in WW2. An uncle was in Stalag Luft 7 as a POW in WW2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think they’d be pleased that Europe had been at peace for 70+ years but be concerned that fascism was on the rise again. They’d probably be even more concerned that some of those movements have hijacked their sacrifice in ridding Europe of that very scourge for propaganda purposes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. They would have known that the likes of Oswald Mosley, Jacques Doriot, Konrad Heinlein and many others would try again and so need to be kept in their boxes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The one who died in WW1 was an uncle the one in WW2 died in the dying stages of the war obviously 1945 he was an uncle, a lot of relatives on my Mothers side of the family were in the forces a great grandad of mine was a Horse Guard my great great grandad was in the Royal Artillery 1837 my nan gave me his leather bound journal before she died, he was from Kings Lynn and he is buried there.
    And don't quote me on grandads and great and all that it gets very confusing :laughing::upyeah:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. My great uncle.....age 17.

In a foreign field.jpg

#9 Arquebus, Oct 29, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Personally I don't like the Remembrance concept as it is at the moment,
    ( ill add I'm a 22 year Army Veteran just in case someone jumps the gun)

For me it was always a personal thing, to remember the guys and girls that didn't come home, but it has become a yearly occasion of high stress for many Ex service personnel, whereby they feel they have to demonstrate some continued allegiance to something that may have had a huge negative impact on their and their families lives..
    I haven't attended a parade since leaving back in 2011, maybe its my own issue, but after I raised this as a discussion between friends, many had the same outlook on it..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. My great great great grandfather was killed at the charge of the light brigade.
    he wasn’t actually in the light brigade but was camping nearby and went to complain about the noise.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information