1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping It Clean!

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Pavey, May 3, 2014.

1. I'm getting my Streetfighter today and also have access to a garage so intend to keep it clean all the time, like most Ducati's I see. My Monster (also used for commuting) had flaking engine paint after a short while.

What do people use to clean their bikes, including which type of rag is best for the bodywork? I did read don't ever use water, should I just use muck-off instead?

Thanks. :)

2. 1) Autoglm shampoo and 1 bucket of cold water. 2nd bucket of cold water to dip the microfiber sponge in to get rid of any crap on it were cleaning the fairings etc 2) Hose pipe not jet wash bike 3) Lots of clean microfiber clothes to get rid of any water and then more to buff up to a nice shine! 4) WD40 seems to work well on black parts. I always wash my clothes etc after using them once - stick them in with the Mrs's towels which she loves ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I was thinking the same thing, OK, I got a spanking new bike, how do I keep it looking that way.

Asked Wife for cleaning clothes and what products were about the house.

I was handed an old pair of my pants and s bottle of Mr sheen.

Hope someone recommends a miracle product and not just old pants.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ACF50 all the way for protection, see the product reviews online. Expensive but worth every penny :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Putting a good wax on most parts will make cleaning easier whilst offering good protection and a deep glossy shine.
    I picked up my 848 last week and gave it a wipe down with meguires quick detailer, then used their paint cleanser followed by dodo juice lime prime light on the areas with light swirl marks. Once that was done I applied two coats of dodo juice supernatural wax.
    Used poor boys wheel sealant on the wheels to make brake dust and chain grease easier to clean.
    For the black plastics I use meguires interior trim spray as it doesn't make it shiny.
    I always use microfibre cloths.

Obviously don't use wax on the sides of the tank as it will make you infertile!
    Surprised there's not a detailing section on the forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's a bit anal when it comes to cleaning :-/

6. Meguiars gold class shampoo to wash with a sponge gently rinse warm water
    A soft towel to dry off
    Meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax
    WD40 for frame etc
    WD40 wheels
    Lots of time and patience
    Job done
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399130841.653909.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Chuck a bucket of muddy water over it and put it away. It'll be fine :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Moved to (new) Detailing section. Thanks for the suggestion @Deano84

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bilt Hambler for the fairings etc. Bilt-Hamber™ Online UK Shop - Full Product Range & Fast Free Delivery
    Brake Calipers get a fizz with AutoGlym alloy wheel cleaner.
    Engine has a scrub with fairy power spray. (do a spot check first, just in case)
    WD40 gets most other random grot off.
    ACF50 to protect from corrosion.
    Use 2 buckets when washing, one for Shampoo and one for rinsing the sponge/cloth. Don't let the cloth sink to the bottom of the rinse bucket you'll put all the crap back on your bike.
    Replace fasteners with stainless/alloy or Ti if you are feeling flush. (remember to check tensile strength first)

10. Well, having been recommended Vulcanite wipes by a friend and having tried a few, I see that Char swears by them, they were being sold at the Acid Days bike testing day and when I mentioned them to my dealer's they said that they sold them too. Well that's good enough for me. A tub will shortly be in my garage. They look like a miracle product - esp for greasy wheels and to remove squashed insects.

#10 gliddofglood, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. I've been using Vulcanet (I think this is what you mean) for years on all my Ducati's and they work real well. My Streetfighter never saw water and I used Vulcanet wipes on everything then followed with wd40, gt85, and a good wax to finish.

12. that's the stuff!

13. Just noticed that Infinity dont have any more in stock and it appears that there's none left in the UK :-/

I'm down to my last tub so am pinging them direct in France.

14. Cheers for that. I ordered with them before and they were unable to get stock to fulfil.

I have a suspicion that Vulcanet is no more. I'm glad I stocked up when Infinity had a sale on this stuff.

15. a tin of Mr Sheen and a microfiber cloth or 2

£40 for wipes ! nah :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Agree - I got 'em for 1/2 price but a tub lasts me for almost a year.

17. Don't use Muc Off, it's a good product but it will eat ACF50. I use a PH neutral cleaner which is far better, with a decent garden sprayer to apply - makes life easier.

18. don't clean it, the muck will provide a protective layer

Do Not Sell My Personal Information