1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevlar Jeans - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Berry, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Recently purchased a Duc again. Like the idea of getting some Kevlar lined jeans, with armour inserts also. Any recommendations?

I don’t want them too baggy but obviously would like the best protection possible, and realise they’re not going to be skinny fit.

Cheers !

2. My recommendation is to steer clear of them. In a proper off the armour is unlikely to stay in place and the Jean material itself isn’t that protective. These may be slightly outdated observations from a 50mph off I had 8 years ago, however staring at your own exposed kneecap is enough to put you off for life.

#2 Jolley, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  3. I wear a one piece set of Held leather on my Panigale but wear either my RST or Held Kevlar jeans on my scrambler classic.

I prefer the look and feel of the Held jeans but they were quite a bit mores expensive than the RST ones.

4. Mrs M has a set of RST one's and I have a set of Hood ones. The Hood Jeans are much better quality and I would imagine they would offer much better protection in the event of an off... We only got them for the occasions that we just go for a steady pootle out to a local bike night or ride out somewhere for something to eat.

Hoods site has a section showing photo's of jeans after their customers have had an off too which is interesting to see too...

www.hoodjeans.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
  5. I use Hood Jeans - make sure to get the ones with the full lining in Kevlar / Aramid - not just partial.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yep - Hood for me too

7. A 20mph off that almost any jeans should come out of unscathed.....
    4428C8C0-CF0B-4619-A162-004B9B1208D8.jpeg
    And a 40mph off that has easily worn straight through the jean....
    D7813B83-99DC-45D2-A63D-7086FBE8F6CC.jpeg

My off was at 50mph, and the jeans were cut off both legs, covered in holes and blood stains..... I’ll see if I have a photo somewhere. I was just out for a potter to give the battery a wake up when someone decided to do a u-turn on a dual carriage way... anything can happen at any time on any ride. I would say if you’re on a scooter they are a good idea. Anything that can get up to or over 50-60mph, I wouldn’t wear them. Anyone else in here had a decent speed (50mph+) off in jeans that would recommend them?

8. Bought a pair of Hood jeans years ago. Felt practically naked in them despite armour. Not that much cooler than leather on a hot day. Went onto eBay as after one outing I never wore them again.

9. I have a pair of Hood jeans and would recommend them........they offer more protection than regular jeans (similar to lower end textiles) but not as much as leathers ..........just bear in mind that the only "perfect" protection is not to get on a bike in the first place......wear what you find comfortable to ride in and accept the risks.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ive the RST jeans, Find them to be pretty good quality and nice fit, Ive thrown the knee armour away and use strap on knox, Have the hip armour now but not got to try it, Bought and used the Draggin K-Legs once and got rid, Found them terrible to wear, Saying that the protecting would be tops and you can wear any normal jeans over them

11. He he...

Anyway. I’ve been convincing my wife we need to go shopping for some jeans. She goes on the back as we use the bike to nip into London etc on days out. She hates the faff of biking and wants to feel comfortable when we get to our destination but I would like her to be safe.

Are the armour pieces easy enough to remove without taking the jeans off as I know she’ll want to do that when we arrive? Would the she prefer a strap on (fnar fnar)? I would have thought the strap kind would move in the event of any accident so would prefer her to have them in the jeans.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I have a pair of Revit jeans. Theyre comfortable and are holding up very well.

13. It is actually the other way round. The ones in the jeans are more likely to move than the strap-ons. However, given enough of an impact/slide both types will move.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. #14 jack999s, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  15. Surely they are useless if not connected securely to a leather jacket? Last thing you would want is exposed hip,back etc if jacket slides up..or worse jeans slide down.
    Been lucky here and not been off since I was kid (field bike..many offs lol), but I have seen plenty of offs. Higher speed seem to be slides after tumble, slower speed a tumble. Not too keen on the jeans thing myself and have spent a lot of time in the past researching. Decent quality textiles would IMO offer comfort and a better degree of protection. I have witnessed Halvarssons in action, they have Hi-art, a kind of abrasion resistant material. They were still intact after several crashes. ... intact until the paramedic took scissors to them to cut them off my mate at least! In fairness the medic said they very difficult to cut!! ;)

16. As a side note, I watched in horror last week, a young lad come off his scooter. He hit a patch of snow (seriously) wearing tracksuit bottoms, trainers, hoody, helmet..no gloves ! he was OK and didnt even break the skin on his hands.

Wish I could say the same after my 4mph accident coming back from pub a few weeks back, hic. Still got bits of stone under the skin. Will wear gloves next time, that was just walking (staggering actually) home about 2a.m.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I wear Bull-it jeans and they are awesome but pricey! They use something called Covec which is claimed to be stronger than leather (thankfully I haven’t had to test this yet)! They are also good thermally, cool in summer, warm in winter. http://www.bull-it.com/

• Like Like x 1
  18. They always talk about how the jeans protect you, and last in a slide, 5 seconds even 15 seconds for the Rokker ones, pretty impressive, in some cases longer than leather. The impact protection is also important and the armour in jeans is normally in a pocket which has a tendency to move around. Personally they don’t fit me very well, they’re too baggy and end up flapping about which just looks rubbish imo. The Rokker ones fit really well and are a tight fit but when you’re paying £350 why would you not have a nice pair of leather jeans Made which ultimately we would feel a lot safer wearing.

19. Blue. Maybe black. Definitely not green, yellow or red.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information