1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key Barrel Removal

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by paul1098, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Seem to be having issues with no power when I turn the key. I assume I just need to clean up all th connections in the key barrel?

Anyone know how to remove the key barrel or whether I can remove the connectors in the bottom of key barrel without removing the whole thing?

2. Haven't had to dismantle one, but they are held onto the frame with two security bolts. There's a short cable to a multi plug. Try cleaning the plug first

3. I noticed they were held onto the frame with some strange bolts. My bolts seem to have a thread in them rather than allen/torx etc. Not sure whether that's standard or they've been replaced and I wasn't sure whether that meant I just screwed a bolt in and it'd come loose.

I will pull the plug & clean it but think it's the key barrel as I was having to jiggle the key to get it to work occasionally prior to it failing completely.

4. I have some experience of the insides of a Ducati ignition lock ....
    .... I got it the hard way !

This is from the ST4 and has the lock cylinder removed ....
    the " precision engineering " was done with a large screwdriver and hammer ,
    during a failed theft attempt .

The switch can be operated with a screwdriver in that slot ( shown with an arrow ) but there is still no access to the electrical contacts .
    They are in a metal box , along with the steering lock mechanism , underneath the lock body.
    There are two rivets with pointed heads , and these would have to be drilled to get at the contacts directly .

Other than that , I think you would have to flood the contacts with
    switch cleaner while constantly rotating the key , to have any chance of getting things working properly .

And if the contacts are damaged or worn , I reckon you are out of luck ....
    .... sorry to be the bearer of bad news !
    -
    lock - detail.png

Ign - underside.jpg

#4 oldtech, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  5. That's a bit of a shame. I'd seen an article on Japanese lock barrels and that seemed easy to get to the contacts and had hoped the Dukes were the same. How did you get your lock barrel off the bike? Did you drill out the bolts?

As I'm not looking to sell the bike if I can't get the lock barrel to work I'll probably just fit a switch to turn ignition on and keep key for the steering lock.

6. Yep bolt head smooth & threaded in side. I'll try bolt & nut then if that fails go for the pliers.

Sounds like I'm going to have issues getting to the contacts anyway but at least I can replace bolts with proper allen head ones.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information