1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Key & Lock Replacement Shocking Surprise

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Rusty Halverson, May 17, 2020.

1. A few years ago I had a tank bag stolen which had the keys to one of my ST2s in it. I ordered a replacement kit and installed all new ignition core, gas tank filler cap and the seat lock core. It all worked fine. Cheap too. Only like $50 bucks.

A few weeks ago I lost the key to the same bike AGAIN! So I ordered the kit again and it arrived and - get this - I figured I'd try the new keys on the old locks just for the hell of it. THEY WORKED! I didn't have to replace the ignition core, the tank filler cap and the seat locks! WTH!!

I'll be really careful going forward, but WHAT THE HELL??

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. Do you have this week's lottery numbers Rusty? :)

#2 Robarano, May 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yeah ... probably a bit of shock to discover .

I don't have my key to hand , but it's a very basic system on those older models .
    A double-bitted key with 5 or maybe 6 wafers inside the lock ( and they are only cut 1 to 3 ).

At best that gives 216 possible key permutations , for the entire production run .
    Now throw 20 years of wear into the picture .... and a bit of a wiggle ... ?

:)

#3 oldtech, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  4. A good few years ago I had a Saab 900i, old school beautiful car. I lost the key. I rang mate who's a mechanic.
    "Have you anyone has an old Opel Kadett?"
    I have, I said.
    Just get that key and wiggle it round a bit.
    Worked the finest.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information