1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Keyless Fuel Cap

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by gc6269, Mar 18, 2017.

1. I've just got one and fancy fitting it this weekend.

Anyone done it?

Any tips?

Thanks.

2. Like heated grips, I think to get it to work it needs to be ok'd by your Ducati dealer's software.

3. Certainly not winding you up but when they go wrong, you can be left stranded unless you carry the allen-key used to install it with you.

4. Had it fitted on last 2 bikes n over 20,000 miles n never had any issues but I do carry the allen key just incase!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Would be interested to hear how you get on fitting it! Something I'd like to get in the future. How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

6. I've had it a while, sat on the garage bench,for a few months. From memory it was a little short of £200.

7. Not cheap then. Might have to keep digging the key out my pocket for a while longer until I can afford one.

8. Fitted mine myself to my GT and subsequently transferred to my DVT, didn't need to be activated by the dealer on either model, not failed yet in over 30K+ miles, worry every time I fill up :angry: and always carry the right allen key.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. All done and dusted. The good news is the job can be done with two Allen keys, 3 & 4mm!

You might need a 13mm spanner to remove the horn to give better access to get the near side lower fairing off, but other than than its dead straight forward.

I took off all the bodywork and lifted the tank cover off the cap as opposed to trying to fit the cap through the gap. It works better using the same method in reverse when refitting.

The panels need a bit of attention when they go back on to ensure every tab slides into place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm wondering if it would suffice to simply unbolt the 10 bolts at the top in case the electronics fail?

I assume you'd have to undo all the panels and tankcover as well? As you would do to replace the cap?

11. No Riko, iirc you only need to take panels off to do the wiring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. no, you misunderstood, or asked incompletely :)

In case you want to tank because you're out of gas...and the electronics fail.

Can you:
    - unbolts the 10 bolts on the gascap
    - lift the cap
    - tank?

or would one have to unbolt all the body panels like in the installation phase?

13. Hi Riko,

Yeah, I reckon you can undo all the tank cap bolts and remove the cap to top up, replace the cap and retighten the bolts.

14. On the Mark 1 Multi (2010-14) it is easy to remove the filler cap screws and lift the assembly just enough to get some petrol in (should you need to). But on the Mark 2 DVT Multi (2015 on) the bodywork is totally different and the filler cap is a really tight fit - I think you would have to remove the bodywork, which is not a little job.
    Having said that, I have been using the same electronic fuel filler cap since 2011, on three different bikes and 55,000 miles, and it has always worked perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. aight, thx for the input guys! gonna ask some dealers :)

16. Hi guys I have a 2015 DVT, will the keyless cap off a '14 fit ?

17. Yes :upyeah:

18. I have keyless filler cap on my 2016 DVT. In the last 12 months I noticed that on occasions a couple of days after I had washed the bike the filler cap would not operate. I dismantled the unit to take a closer look and found that the locking mechanism "sticking" but a bit of lubrication and a wipe with a cotton bud to clear small road grit resolved the issue. Now, before every wash I give the locking mechanism a quick wipe with WD40 sprayed on a rag and not had a problem since. WD40 may not be the best lubricant to use but it seems to work.

19. Thanks!!!

And it doesn't need 'coding' to the key? I guess it gets a signal from the steering lock?

20. I don't think so Steve, I'm not sure but I'm sure @Pete1950 will know.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information