1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Kickstand Strength And Ferries

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by crowned, May 12, 2021.

1. Hiya-

I am planning to take my 996 on a ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle.

It has the stock kickstand and it leans over quite a lot.

I can make sure it has as little gas as possible in it, and possibly bbring some wood to put under the kickstand so the bike is more upright.

However... Is there some other thing I might do in order to ensure that the kickstand does not snap during the crossing. Can they keep the bike vertical and tie it down from both handlebars ?

Thank you !

2. I’ve taken my bikes on ferries, all on side stands only. Each time I waited by the bike and watched while the guys strapped it down to make sure a) it was secure and b) they didn’t damage anything when strapping it down. I also made sure it was left in 1st or 2nd gear. The crossings were relatively calm so it wasn’t really an issue.

Personally I wouldn’t use a block of wood in case the side stand slips off it, if that happens then all of sudden the straps that were holding the bike are now loose as the bike is now 2-3cm closer to the deck.

As long as the side stand itself and the bracket that holds it are in good order it’s unlikely it will break IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brittany Ferries strap across the riders seat pad and although I cannot remember why, on our journey to Santander, I did not put my bike on the centre stand so cannot say either way if it’s a requirement or not. Andy

4. The last DFDS ferry I went on had brackets fixed to the wall which you rode your front wheel into. No need for stands or straps. It was much easier, although I spent ages trying to push my bike into the bracket before I realised it was in gear.

5. On the ferries I’ve used they prefer you to use the side stand so their ratchet straps are under constant tension from the suspension.
    I took a foam pad to place on top of the seat to protect it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. +1 on taking something to protect your seat - sponge or rags - as they do throw a strap over the seat on tie it down pretty tight in my experience! Tho when I took ferry from Hull/Rotterdam they left us to tie our own bikes down!

7. Brittany Ferries uses a large bolster, or cushion, laid on the seat pad and strap down HARD onto that. As @West Cork Paul says, always on the sidestand. Sidestand is highly unlikely to snap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information