1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Know what it is yet?

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Ghost Rider, May 9, 2012.

1. I knew I would find a use for a busted trip meter cable and a spare throttle stop screw.......

Now that means I have only got to scrabble about on the floor trying to adjust the balance screw (with a red guide to tell me which screw it isn't).

"Where's the knob going" I hear you ask (or don't)........Can't really tell until the carbs are back on, but it seems there are four possible places.

Small bracket off the nearside forward airbox mounting lug....Or, on a spare half fairing upper bracket (if I can find one) / maybe make one...Or, a small bracket on lower rear full fairing frame mount.....Or. Small bracket on the rearward float bowl bolt......

See?....Ingenious aren't I?

AL.

#1 Ghost Rider, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. M8, You have far too much time on your hands:rolleyes:

With everything you do it looks like it was ment to be there!

No half mesures :upyeah:

3. Another ingenious invention from Arquebus Industries :upyeah:

4. Go on...ask me how I joined the throttle stop screw to the top of the trip meter cable...........Oh, alright don't....I'll leave you guessing....look closer.

AL.

5. Go on then, I'll take a guess: A circlip or C-clip.

6. Magic?

Did you drill the throttle stop screw, passing the cable through the centre?

7. Nope....all wrong!

I drilled from the head of the stop screw (it's a 5mm very fine thread job) with a 3mm bit to about 10mm depth....then tapped it 4BA (why 4BA?..... because I reckoned 6BA was too small and my 5BA tap was broken)......A 4BA bolt was screwed into the stop screw with Loctite638.....then the head of the stop screw was crossed drilled 1mm right through including the 4BA bolt and crosspinned with a 1mm mild steel pin and pened over.

The brass head of the cable had previously been tampered with, I reckon because the cable had come out of the brass part....I could see where an attempt to compress the brass had caused a small crack, so I refitted the cable in the brass with Loctite638 and cross drilled the brass and the cable for pinning it which also pulled the crack together.

The other end of the brass piece was threaded 4BA and then wound down onto the stop screw bolt with Locite638 and that was crossed pinned as well.

It will be more likely to break than come apart.......but I have another spare trip meter cable if it does...I just used the worst one as it was an experiment.

If it does break, I reckon the end of the cable into the brass is the most likely to go first, or maybe the stop screw will twist where it has been drilled (thin walls)....the 4BA bolt would be the last thing to break.....However I have given it a really hard twist using the trip meter knob with the stop screw tight in a spare carb body and no sign of failing.

I could of course have simply bought the proper item.......It comes from a Yamaha TDM 850.........but my experience of Yamaha prices are just like Ducati (or worse)............or the d*mn thing comes complete with carbs!!

AL.

#7 Ghost Rider, May 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
  8. Well i was half right :upyeah:

Love it:cool:

9. Or half wrong!!

Bracket made (loop type thing in stainless that clips around the frame tube just in front of those silly triangular boxes)

AL.

10. I just bought a replacement for my FCR's at about 5.99 plus postage.

11. Where from? Still, I was bored at the time....

AL.

12. CA cycleworks in US.

13. Would the throttle stop screw on FCRs be the same thread size as the screw on the OEM Mikunis?

AL.

14. No idea do not have stock carbs. FCR one is a screw that lift the throttle pull up to raise the revs. Thread is quite wide apart to minimise turning.

15. The stock Mikuni throttle stop screw (does the same as the FCR one) is an extremely fine Metric thread......as far as I can tell, it is finer than the normal Metric Fine.

AL

Do Not Sell My Personal Information