1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 1290 Gt

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Rollin Bone, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Hi Guys
    Just to say thanks for the last two years of advice and direction, I've just paid a deposit for a new KTM1290 GT, having previously owned a 990 SMT in the past I was waiting on its replacement hopefully I've found it. My Multistarda has been an interesting diversion over the period but I've always thought there was something missing possibly raw grunt no doubt I will find out. Anyway cheers I'm heading back to the KTM forum...............

Regards RB

• Like Like x 2
  2. Enjoy! I went the other way, multi to SMT and now looking at the 1290 GT as a possible next bike.

3. Good luck dude, enjoy the new ride.

4. GT due a replacement soon though eh Jh

5. GT comes with £1000 voucher now too, doesn't it?

6. Very quick bike.
    Take an extended test ride though on some bumpy roads, as the front end is flawed and no amount of fiddling with settings finds a proper sweet spot.

Oh, and the quickshifter is, erm, a bit slow!

#7 J biker, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2017
  7. But they spend hardly anytime on the front though ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I've only ridden the SDR and the quickshifter was spot on. Front end wasn't as planted as I'd have liked and it understeered like crazy. Figured I could just tweak that out though

9. Problem is the only adjustments are with the electronic adjuster.
    Basically soft (shite, waste of time)
    Touring, keeps bike level but stops front end dive. You would think that would be good, but the front is already too firm.
    Sport. Allows a bit dive, and therefore better turn in. This works best, but not perfect.

Then you can add luggage, two rider, two rider plus luggage. I finally ended up running in two rider/sport. This was the only combination that felt secure to push on a bit.

There is no option (like on the S1000r) to set sag manually. The KTM needs this, at least but doesnt have the facility. Great bike, flawed handling, frequent wheelies also spoiled by an over aggressive traction control system that leads to bruised fruit!

10. Good choice and the KTM forum is an august and respected institution devoted to the exchange of serious technical expertise and where prurient toilet humour is not tolerated and on one uses rude words.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Thread moved. And you could stick around and contribute still, just like @JH_1986 . We can't rid of that bugger!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. That is another bike I briefly crossshopped before I bought the MTS. It is a relatively small bike and felt tight for me at 6'1". No test ride available and they didn't have an idea of what my MV was worth so I ended up going the path of lower resistance. By all accounts the motor is bonkers, some teething problems and it throws heat like the MTS. But should be fun.

13. I was lent one for the day a couple of months ago

IMG_1988.JPG

14. And.......................??? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Enjoyed it, it's not for me but it went well, handled well, stopped well and looks the part

16. Like the look from the back and side......... but from the front ?? o_O

17. I think for its category it's not a bad looking horse to be fair.

One thing I will say is that it didn't (to me anyway) scream quality.. what I mean is that things just felt a little cheap. Gear change is a little knotchy, controls felt cheap etc.

But it's a great bike, and that's me being picky

18. Am considering a SDR ?? ANother move to the dark side....Possibly ?? We'll see :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Haven't ridden one but would like to...

Many speak of them as one of the best all round bikes... so must be good

Do Not Sell My Personal Information