1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 1290 superduke R

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by brog86, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Anyone tempted to go Orange this bikes looks amazing. I hope the video link works it's Jeremy McWilliams riding the prototype at Goodwood :)

#1 brog86, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  2. 1 of the few non Dukes I like, may have to try it out to see if it rides like it looks.

3. I had a SuperDuke and SuperDuke R. Both great bikes, and a laugh to ride. There's been a few with niggley issues like water pump, rectifier, oil pressure gauge failures on some bikes. I have friends who've done over 50k miles on theirs with no major problems. The dealer network is OK, about the same service levels as Ducati, costs can be more.

4. I have a mate who test road one in Poland on press test event ..... He replied I do not care if I need to suck off the ugliest Man in the universe I need this bike!! Very odd response from him as he is the manly man kind off bloke. ;)

5. Blimey, a chat to the finance company would suffice ! Great bike, I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I had a 990SM a few year ago and it was bonkers. This new 1290 looks insane I hope they follow it with 1290SM just for a laugh eh

7. I really like the look of them.
    When is the official release day in the uk then ?

8. No word yet just 'later this year'

9. I just got my MTS1200 a few weeks ago but I would defo consider one of these.
    I think it looks mean as feck.

10. I have one on my ever growing wish list

11. They only look right in orange but this looks more like what we will get
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374909817.132331.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374909817.132331.jpg

12. Looks very nice... Wouldn't mind hasin a go!... Have always liked the super Dukes...

13. I can't see Ducati making a Panigale SF any time soon so I'm thinking this might suit me as a nice upgrade from the SF848.

14. This is (sadly) my thinking. I really wanted a 1199 based SF but since we've got that 1198 Monster instead I'll be chucking in my beloved 1098 SF for the KTM once available.

15. I just spoke with a dealer and he wasn't even sure the 2013 SFS was being actively made, the implication being you could have one to order but they hadn't sold one this year, seems like the SFS is on last legs. Now I actually really like the colours of the 2013, all red or the graphite and red frame both work for me but I'm loathe to trade my SF848 for a bike at the end of the model line and lose a load if Ducati focus on water-cooled Monsters with 150bhp as the next launch of a naked bike.

In any case, I don't want a naked bike without my trellis frame and Ducati could end up with nothing to offer, all the mocked up images of a Panigale SF are just kids with photoshop and nothing really works.

Half of me thinks I'd hate not being on a Ducati, half thinks Ducati are starting to lose the SF enthusiasm and the third half thinks sod it, I like the SF and the SFS might be a great option for a couple of years so why am I moaning - it's not like I need 150bhp anyway, let alone 200.

The KTM does look like it will be some machine though, Ducati either need to step up or tis sector will be lost for a while. Given the SFS is £15k before you throw toys at it and the KTM will probably be cheaper and offer more...

First World challenges abound....

16. They never really sold all that well the SF1098/SFS and thought for the last couple of years that the writing is on the wall for the streetfighter model line. It's a real shame as I had a M1100 previously and loved the bike but it wasn't scary enough and I much prefer the more aggressive styling of the Streetfighter v Monster.

I too hate the idea of not being on a Ducati but that KTM looks right up my street and if Ducati's big super-naked is going to be that M1198 then I know I'll have to consider trading in.

That wont be a simple decision as I love the SF and still take absolute joy in nipping out for a blast on a weekend then cleaning and polishing it in the garden, in the sun with a beer. I'm not sure if the KTM would instil that level of pride of ownership.

17. That's my issue, I came from a Monster and really wanted a SF, when the 848 came out I signed up straight away. I'm now at the point I'd like to step up again to the bigger machine with better suspension setup and find Ducati seeming to desert the range. The dealer also told me that in simple money terms, the bigger SFS is hard to stack up against the sports bikes. Thing is I much prefer the riding position on the SF and I'll stick with the naked as my main bike for what I need, I've even left my GS at home and did a quick tour recently on the SF as it's such an easy bike to live with.

I'd be annoyed if Ducati just discontinued the range as the SF848 has only been out a while and gets good reviews and apparently sells pretty well as it's not bad compared to the 848 Superbike. I can see the 848 might be the only Streetfighter as the SFS is still a couple of gens behind on the 1098 engine anyway. They could do an 1198 SFS as a tweak to compete with the KTM at little cost I guess.

18. Interesting that your dealer directly compared the SFS to sportsbikes as that's not the point at all for me. Like you I much prefer the riding position and the fact that its naked as that is the style I prefer and suits the kind of riding that I do.

I can see the SF848 continuing for a while for sure and if they do facelift the SFS with a 1198 lump then I'll be front of the queue!

19. I'm thinking to put down a deposit on the 1290 anyway. There's a KTM dealer pretty close to me and I figure they'll be shipping early 2014.

20. Erm I love the KTM so would love to have that or Monster S4rs plus chuck few grand on engine upgrade (re work original or slot in torque tunned 1198).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information