1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ktm 525 Exc Supermoto Build.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by comfysofa, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Well, not sure if anyone wants to see this, based on the fact the piston on the SL build on here probably costs more than my whole bike. I had a KTM660 supermoto last year which was a brilliant bike but I lost it (long story)....anyway my mate was selling his enduro exc which ive now got....here it is as delivered to my house yesterday at 12.30pm
    7.jpg
    Then by 5.30 it looked like this...
    20140713_052814.jpg
    I know its not a Duc - and I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in it....the plan is to get it down to the Swingarm and frame by the end of play today (sunday) and get it all of for powder coating...plus other bits as well, subframe, rad guards and anything else that comes off it that needs it...
    ive got an akra tailpipe on the way along with these bad boys to go on....
    IMG_20140711_214702.JPG

Itll be covered in the usual orange bling, Renthal fat bars etc etc....anyway - there you go...

• Like Like x 7
  2. heres a picture of mine last thursday, mines only used for green laneing though, yours looks quite tidy , 04/05 model?

laning 10th june 004.jpg

3. yep - that's mine....ive got a load of bits on it to shift (wheels as well) if you know anyone that wants anything. it was quite tidy (well, it still is kind of) until I pulled it to pieces...he's been using it on Salisbury plain up til a few years back so once I got inside the airbox it was pretty mucky in there....oh - yeah - its a 55 plate. Hes looked after it well, but its never been completely apart before from what I can see (not that you would as well though) - its only done 70 hours as well...

#3 comfysofa, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I had a 525 exc back in 07. Never actually used it for off road, just hooned about on as an SM. Great fun and it did love a wheelie :)

Wish I had another :)

5. I had a 300EXC. Had to get rid before it killed me.

7. Here's my Supermpto , it used to be an an Aprilia SXV 550

8. Sorry here it is

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  9. @ian899 When are you doing a trackday and where. I want to come and have a look and get a go ;)

10. I'd like a go on that too!!

11. Paint it red!

12. Your Aprilia is brilliant :)
    @comfysofa go for big brakes, OEM are rubbish for road.

13. Heh - well, heres an update - ive got a build thread running on the supermoto forum - their admin was a little worried as there wasn't much traffic going through so ive posted everything ive done so far there...heres a where its at.... 20140714_210252.jpg

Im cracking on at a fair old pace at the moment - if I get some time tonight im going to get the frame cleaned up (just so you can handle it without getting covered in oil, same for the engine.

Not bad news but I had some unexpected issues with the engine clean part of the job.....im going to a place called mr blast....here

mr blast - Homepage

they've said the engine has to be completely stripped down to the crank cases for them to be able to clean it without shagging up all the internals, so that in turn has incurred approx 350 quid extra for the rebuild. Apparently the pressure that they clean at will push through the gaskets.

Build thread is here (hoping im not going to incur the wrath of the admins for post this)

525 exc 2005

Just to reply to all....

Brakes....TBH im going to be just concentrating on getting it back together and working at the moment - that may come later on...

Performance - ill be doing some tuning - theres a mod called the "pumper mod" (im sure itll make me go blind) but apparently so one of the KTM guys tells me "do the pumper mod, itll make it go like a cunt..." so, ill be doing that one...

While the engine is in pieces there'll be some exhaust port and inlet port polishing to be done. Sounds weird but my wife will be doing this. She's a dental technician and has access to very fine grinding and polishing tools. Years ago I gave her the head off of my GSXr 7-11, she spent about 5 hours or so polishing all the exhaust ports, valves and inlets. After that it went like a rocket and made the engine smoother as well. Essentially the result was: Before 0 - 155 at 140 it would crawl the rest of the way - after, straight to 155. That's with no fairing as well. She doesn't know it yet by the way...!

14. wow you dont mess about ; ) , looking good, thanks for the update, keep em coming, kev

15. Pumper mod? Isnt that something to do with the carb? I considered something like this on my 300EXC but after its 2nd and near fatal attempt on my life i let the mad bastard go.

I hope the 525 doesnt share the same stumpy spark plugs that the 300 did. Theyre hard to find and pricey and last 10minutes.

16. I'd seriously argue that. My old tdr 250 had polished exhaust ports gutted front pipes dep tail pipesand a skimmed head. In a straight out and out acceleration race mine left 2 others standing over Chelsea Bridge. If an exhaust port is polished then the gases don't get caught going out. Knife edging air intake ports polishing exhaust ports and head skimming was the first my mates dad did 20+ years ago to his Hill climbing car. Inlet ports fair enough.... Something I've never done but was going to try...

17. In fact just to add I know what my bike did (the gsxr) before and after the tuning. So your telling me that it's all in my head...? I knew exactly what speed it got to before it crawled the last way to the top end.... That was gone after.

So everything Stan Stephens did was smoke and mirrors then.?

#17 comfysofa, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  18. Apparently a rough inlet port helps with "atomisation" so I stand corrected on that one.

19. The theory as explained to me is, rough finish sets up lots of tiny vortices in the "valleys" of the roughness, and gases travel faster over these vortices than the walls of the port. But this is only useful in the inlet ports, smooth for exhaust ports to stop/hinder carbon build up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yup. What he said.....

Anyway. The exhaust port is getting polished...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information