1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laid-up Insurance Cover For Bike Not @ Home, But In A Secure Storage Unit Elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by TonyMNo1, Dec 14, 2020.

1. I'm in the process of re-locating and moving home, but with the current times as they are, don't anticipate completion until the end of February/March 2021.
    I'm in a short-term rental for the forthcoming period and wanted to do the right thing advising my present insurers of this address and where the bike(s) would be securely stored, where they have secure fencing, CCTV, secure storage units within the secure fencing etc, etc......

My insurers' (MCD) insurance underwriters can't/won't offer cover on my Multistrada, even though they've already covered my Aprilia, which went into the same storage facility a little over a month ago, ahead of the Ducati, which was caught up in Riders, Bristol during lockdown 2.

One company I tried to speak with (Bemoto), suggested they might be able to offer cover, but the bike needed to be attached to a ground anchor. This was in addition to the above, as well as my bike having a tracker fitted + an Abus disk lock. No logic seemed to prevail here whatsoever, no matter how much I tried to explain. So, I gave up trying to talk with the person on the other end of the phone. The Bike Insurer likewise, as the bike wouldn't be 'laid-up' in my garage/shed/hole in the ground/loft or whatever. Also a total waste of energy.

All in all, a pretty negative experience to date, so as the secure unit already offers theft, fire and damage caused in storage by them, I'm edging towards cancellation of present insurance and as I'm not planning on riding the bike for the next 3 months anyway, leaving things as is, with the bike protected to a large extent whilst in secure storage.

Unless that is, anyone here has any worthwhile suggestions for LU cover companies that do offer sensible cover, for a bike stored in another secure location, not at the same address?

2. Try Footman James ,
    My R1 is stored in much the same situation as yours , with guaranteed value etc, it comes in at £72 PA.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Cheers Vinnie, I'll give them a try tomorrow.:upyeah:

4. :upyeah:

5. I have always used bemoto

as you say, they want ground anchors, but you can kind of understand why I guess

6. Well I sort of can, but with a location that has all the security arrangements as noted above, plus my bike fitted with BikeTrac & data-tagged, no I can't TBH. To me serious overkill and largely unnecessary. That said, if that's their policy, then I'm not in a place to argue. o_O
    That said, I've been able to negotiate both bikes on full value cover with Footman James, as suggested by Vinnie above.
    So, "RESULT":upyeah::)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information