1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Tools Closing Shim Measurement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by mary hinge horse burger, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Anyone used the Laser shim measurement tool?
    Openers are no problem, all calculations check out fine.
    Closers are throwing up some unexpected numbers.
    I’ve measured the tool from base to shoulder where the shim sits and I’m getting 9mm, which is the figure that I’m subtracting when calculating the shim size.
    If anyone has used this tool can you confirm your measurement?
    31B99C4D-EA6D-484A-9DB0-021B9F74D38D.jpeg

2. I haven"t got a Lazer tool I have another make,but I know how to measure shims.
    You should be measuring the overall height of the tool, not to the shoulder. So you should be subtracting 10mm from the micrometer reading. 9mm would be an odd figure to make it.

3. Thanks Derek, agreed 9mm is an odd figure but I’ve measured the whole tool at 9.85mm which is also oddball. I’m here to learn......it’s getting technical so I’ve got the pens out....
    See attached pic, if the shim measurement is “A” then what would be the point in measuring the whole of the tool including the raised part above the shoulder? To work out the shim thickness “A” should it not be:
    C-B=A?
    C6E5655A-0886-46B5-81D5-AEEB9A87ED65.jpeg

4. I think you are visualising this wrong. I haven't got time now but will get back to you in the morning. Although someone else will probably chime in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mary, are you using a dial gauge to measure the distance from the shim face to the tool shoulder or doing it some other way?

6. I also bought that Lazer Tool over a year ago, just recently I did the Desmo service and it does not work as intended. The EMS Duc Shim kit is spot on with the Closer shim measuring tool.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I’ve used a digital vernier and also a micrometer to cross check.

8. My fears exactly, I never like to blame tools especially as it’s the first time I’ve tried measuring closers. I bought some new genuine shims which are sized on the sides but no matter how I calculate them they just don’t add up. I personally think he tool is shit, but I’m happy to be proved wrong, it happens on a daily basis in my house.
    If anyone can recommend a closing shim measurement tool that is bang on please do. Is the ESM tool available separately?

9. Shit sums it up !
    My Digital vernier was spot on, I also have a micrometer that will read 0.001mm not that its required, but I did verify the digital vernier.
    Openers all Good, however all the Closer shims were all out of spec with around 0.24mm, after the PITA part was over I finished witharound 0.06 to 0.07mm Good enough !!
    The 1st thing I noticed was how well it starts
    a quick ride and I can feel that the power is smooth and no engine Vibration like before.
    Take your time with the closing shims to get this fiddly shite done to perfection... its worth it and the idle is much improved in my case at least.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Just to clarify what you should be measuring.
    This diagram that I drew a few years ago is of a 2V closer but the principal is exactly the same.
    Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 09.37.50.png
    You will see that the inside of the shim has a radius at the bottom which the half rings sit against. The measurement should be from the bottom of that radius to the base of the shim, as shown.
    I'm not familiar with the Lazer tool as mine is one that I bought from Tony Brancatto about 15 years ago. It has a 7mm boss projecting about 1mm at the top which fits into the hole where the valve goes through and centralises the tool in the shim. Below the boss is a radiused section that matches the radius in the shim. The distance from the bottom of the boss / top of the radius to the base of the too is 10mm. So you simply subtract 10mm from the micromter measurement.
    Incidentally, although current Ducati shims are marked with the sizes, I have found that there is sometimes a small difference from the marked size.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Things are starting to add up so to speak. I don’t think the laser tool is taking into account that curved radius where the collets sit. My measurements are all around 0.2 out with what breastfed has also said I’d say I’ve found the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If the 0.2 error is consistent at least you can still use the tool taking that into account. But why couldn't they just have taken the care to make right?

• Like Like x 1
  13. To be honest the tool is a bit flaky in use, it’s not that consistent so I’d rather bin it and sort something decent out. I’ve come this far on a restoration and it’s all gone fine up until now. Frustrating indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. IMO most Lazer Tools are crap.

15. I agree. I got the heads off ok with their tool but it’s a bit cheesey.
    Looking at shim tool from ducatimondo now. EMS shipping is about £65 for something the sizevof a pea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. This is the Brancato one that I've been using for the last 15 years or so. (sorry the image isn't quite sharp)
    IMG_20200303_104441.jpg
    I've had no problem with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Thanks for that guide Derek !

But now I'm going to want that same tool you have , not an alternative .
    I've never heard of Tony Brancato and a quick search shows two ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Brancato

https://brancatoengineering.webs.com/

I'm guessing it's the second one .... :)

18. I tried calling the number on the brancato website, no reply, so spoke to the guys at ducatimondo who are sending out a tool. Will update when it arrives

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I'd have thought that Tony Brancato would have retired long since. The few times I managed to get him on the phone he seemed to want to chat for hours! Nice guy though.

• Like Like x 1
  20. FWIW the factory manual process to obtain the dimension Derek refers to is attached, their diagram may be helpful

Attached Files:

• shim.pdf
      File size:
      745.1 KB
      Views:
    • Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information