1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lateral Movement Rear Sprocket ?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Redrick, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Never having seen this before i thought i would just ask in case they all do that sir

Rear sprocket has a couple of mill lateral movement on its carrier so to speak

All bolts etc are tight

Is it normal or should i worry ?

2. This question comes up time and time again. Assuming the Hypermotard is designed in a manner similar to the 1199, the answer is yes and is irrefutable. The absence of lateral movement in the sprocket carrier should be cause for concern and not the other way around.

3. The amount of movement was such that it was all replaced under warranty ! When i say a couple of mill lateral movement it was as if the whole thing was loose. The rubber cush drives were knackered

4. Form follows function. The components shown here have been specifically designed to provide lateral movement in the final drive. While cush drive pins serve a purpose of their own, their design must also allow lateral movement to occur. Naturally, if you examined the pins and found them to be badly worn, then replacement is warranted. If you believe that an excessive amount of lateral movement is still present, you might also want to inspect the sprocket carrier and carrier flange. If the raised rib on the sprocket carrier is heavily worn, for instance, lateral movement will increase. On the 1199, with the sprocket carrier held in-line and perpendicular to the center line of the axle, the sprocket carrier should be able to move approximately 1.5mm from the hub spacer to the carrier flange. The sprocket carrier has also been designed to "roll" from side to side. If you push the top of the sprocket carrier towards the bike and measure the distance between the swingarm and chain and then pull the top of the carrier away from the bike and again measure the distance between the swingarm and chain, the difference between the two will likely be greater than 2mm.

BID MP13F104.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Of course i accept some movement in a thing like a sprocket but the amount of movement in mine was considered too dangerous to ride.

There was no way the sprocket could run true and in line with the chain/bike it was like a buckled wheel

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. That's interesting. The maximum amount of lateral movement allowed is primarily determined by the machined lip on the rear of the sprocket carrier and the raised rib on the front. Eliminate the lip on the rear, change nothing else, install the assembly (with or without cush drive pins) and the sprocket carrier has lost its ability to move laterally. Remove the rib from the front of the carrier, change nothing else and lateral movement doubles. Double the height of the lip, change nothing else and with or without cush drive pins installed, lateral movement again disappears. Cush drive pins must allow lateral movement to occur, but it's the other design features that determine
    how much movement is ultimately possible. In any event, how does it stand now? What was replaced? How much lateral movement is currently present?
    If there is no lateral movement with a fresh assembly, it should once again become noticeable after a short component break-in period. By some accounts, lateral movement in the final drive was not originally detectable on approximately 40% of new bikes sold. New installations may follow suit.

7. The cush rubber things had completely broken down. there are 5 ( from memory) and they were letting the sprocket move side to side. My original post said a couple of mm but it was more like 5 mm either way so a total of 1 cm movement side to side in total. They were replaced under warranty along with the sprocket which had worn oddly and i have done a further 8000 miles since without repeat of the issue

8. Wow! 1cm does sound like a buckled tire. I recently freshened up the final drive components on my 1199 (sprocket carrier, carrier flange and cush drive pins). I'm running a quick change sprocket carrier, but even after 15,000+ miles I could only measure 2mm worth of lateral deflection between the swingarm and chain as mentioned earlier. Glad that you have it sorted. Cush drive pins must allow the sprocket carrier to move from side to side, but when there's evidence of cracking, etc., replacement is required. Cracking, such as that evident on the pin shown is enough to warrant replacement. It's not thoroughly wasted, but it never gets any better.

BID MP13F94.JPG

Do Not Sell My Personal Information