1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latest (2022) Revisions To The Highway Code

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Android853sp, Jan 27, 2022.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  1. What a page turner !

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. How many of us, apart from Andy B, would pass our tests if we had to go again?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I managed first time without ever reading the Highway Code.

But “bad” habits would shag the job for me.

The driving test is a joke. Nobody is taught to drive. They’re taught to pass a test and then people wonder why the driving standards on U.K. roads are so bad.

#4 Advikaz, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 7
  4. Pauly would.

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. When are they going to teach them correctly from day one with the lefthand lane is for turning left and for straight on ...........Not for cutting infront of righthand lane motorists heading for other exit points.This happened again today to me, but this time i hit the horn and they changed lanes at the last minute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cyclists charter. Written by someone who doesn’t use a motor vehicle.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. This:
    ...At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning...
    So if you're turning left into a side road, you have to stop and wait for someone to cross. You'll probably get shunted up the rear 'cos no-one would see a reason for you to stop at a bloody corner! FFS!

• Agree Agree x 9
  8. There are some peaches. Like a cyclist on either side at a junction has right of way so they can whizz do the middle and cut across to turn left and if you hit them it’s your fault for no stopping at the junction in case! Gets worse; the larger the vehicle, the less priority.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. #10 DD DucDave, Jan 28, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Threads merged

11. New Highway code rules come into affect today. :upyeah:

DB82CAD5-F152-4E57-9492-8F84D91B2BE1.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Useful summary on the local occasional-news site. I'd heard about cyclists being encouraged to ride in "the middle of the road", and my immediate thought was "like on a motorbike, then", which would make sense if bicycles weren't slower, rather than faster, than the cars and lorries behind.

Now I see the context of that advice: in traffic not moving faster than the bicycle; and at junctions. Frankly all the stuff relating to bicycles, pedestrians, horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles looks like common sense, and won't change how I ride one whit.

You're supposed to wait for a pedestrian if they're already crossing. And they're not supposed to start crossing unless it's safe to do so.

But it all comes down to whether one or other of the actors gives a shit about other people, so suggestions in the Highway Code won't change anything: considerate drivers already stop. Maybe the changes that are law will make it easier to assign guilt in any collision - sometimes; but people are already prosecuted for dangerous driving; or not, when the other party was obviously acting irresponsibly.

The drivers this lot is aimed at are the same kind who drive with one hand on the wheel and the other with their mobile held to their ear. Even legislation doesn't stop them and all it proves is that the trouble with this country, is I'm not allowed a machine pistol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I’m with you brother. :upyeah:

My gripe is with horse riders, not the horses. Who in their right mind would take a incontinent vehicle with no brakes, no steering wheel and a will of its own onto today’s overcrowded highways ?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Riding a horse, or for that matter herding cattle, on a public highway is not illegal. It is however utterly stupid.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Exactly my point Mr P, and similarly, runners who insist on running on the road when they have a perfectly serviceable pavement alongside them. : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. I have never understood why they do it. Some of these joggers even put themselves in danger by running in the left hand lane with their backs to the traffic flow.

17. Whoever made up these rules:
    1. Lives in London
    2. Doesn’t drive
    3. Has no grasp whatsoever of human nature
    4. Their name is Karen
    It’s going to be a bloody nightmare with self important cyclists, horse riders and pedestrians interpreting this as carte blanche to lord it over all other road users.

Lawmakers should never underestimate just how many crazy fuckers are out there - common sense isn’t a factor for a whole bunch of people…….

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Some chance :rolleyes: ...............

Rule 66

You should

• avoid any actions that could reduce your control of your cycle
    • be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so

• Like Like x 1
  19. And there you have the crux of the issue. They used "should" when they should have used "shall", not that it would make any difference to the people who already don't give a sh1t. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information