1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawnmower Restoration? Now You're Talking!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by gliddofglood, Jan 30, 2019.

1. My father died a year ago and I decided to have his 1970s Ransomes Marquis lawnmower restored, so that I can use and admire it and remember him when I'm mowing.

I didn't do it myself for all sorts of good reasons:
    • I wouldn't know how to do much of it
    • I wouldn't be able to get the bits
    • I wouldn't have the time
    • I don't really have anywhere to do it
    • I found someone who can do a much better job than me - The Old Lawnmower Company.
    I know this forum likes a good rebuild thread, even if the motor is a BSA rather than a Ducati, so rather than copy everything I have already written about it with all sorts of photos, just see it all on my blog. It's in a couple of parts:

Part One
    Part Two

Happy lawnmower restoration reading!

• Like Like x 13
  2. Sorry to hear of your loss dude...

Nice project!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. i'v maintained a few of those Rasomomes for the local golf club. good ol precision stuff.
    i'v also helped to restore one of these Ransomes with its balor.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  4. Thanks Exige!
    He was 92, it was only to be expected. Sad to lose him, obviously, but it's going to happen to all of us, if it hasn't already. I was lucky to have him around and well for so long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. TBH, I thought it was an Atco. I'd never heard of Ransomes. It was my younger brother, he of the elephantine memory, that told me it was a Ransomes. Just as well. Apparently, Ransomes are better mowers.

6. if its good enough for cutting greens, its good enough for anything.

7. I use to repair those years ago when I worked in a family mower shop. The blades were sent out to a local engineering shop who could sharpen the cylindrical blades on a special machine, those machines are long gone now and I know many were just scrapped because of the advent of rotary mowers that killed the Ransomes and Suffolk colts and such like.Great to see a lovely job well done and it will give many years of service.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That is a great restoration of a family heirloom and a constant reminder of your father.Nice .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Nice -

I have a Ransome Ajax mk5 push mower - lovely patina and cuts my lil lawn better than any modern machine - it’s just great

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks for sharing your story. Thats one perfect looking lawn mower, you Dad would be proud.

There a guy who posts here who moves bikes and other stuff around in Europe in van. I expect he will be able to help you with transport to Switzerland. I can't recall his name, but you could start a thread?

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. @I'm closing in

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. What a great thread. We could do with more like this to keep us all grounded and remember what is important during these mad political times.
    :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Hi, if it is me you are suggesting I’d certainly try and help at some point, I’m in Spain then France this Saturday onwards but be back in Leeds by next Thursday/Friday hopefully, I will be going near Switzerland but it might be after winter tyre rules finish, there are some additional charges maybe tolls in Switzerland I’m not sure as I have not yet been in.

Thank you for the thought and mention.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry to hear of your loss.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Ransomes are a mile up the road from Noodle Towers.. I regularly pop in there when I need my Barnet (hair) trimmed..

Sorry to hear of your Dads passing mate without doubt he would be so proud of your tribute to him with your wonderful restoration..

Well done you... x

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Sorry bout ya dad glidd...
    Great project and as said I'm sure ya dad would be proud..
    Thanks for sharing.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sorry to hear your sad news, Glidd. Good to see such a positive, enduring tribute

• Like Like x 1
  18. Never heard of Ransomes, Glidd? One of the largest mower and agricultural machinery manufacturers for years, including traction engines etc.

Original factory not far from me, but I think it is now just an outlet for mowers.

AL

f324a1ba6d77eb3ad7ed268379459832--steam-engine-traction.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. My condolences regarding your loss.
    Ipswich transport museum has many Ransomes products exhibited.
    They have workshops too. If you cannot sort it you could donate it.
    There used to be a traditional Lawnmower shop at Bricket Wood near StAlbans:
    Universal Lawnmowers Station Road Bricket Wood, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL2 3PF
    Tel: 01923 673966
    good luck
    David

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information