1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Leak From Compression Adjuster (ohlins)

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by RickyX, Apr 20, 2019.

1. My trackbike appears to have sprung a leak from one of the compression adjusters.
    Most annoying...just before I want to use it.

I assume this requires the fork to be stripped down to get it out and replace the o ring?

Anybody else had this on R forks?

2. Sounds a bit odd, from my understanding it will need stripping to replace the o-ring. When were the forks last serviced?

3. Last year, which was about 500 miles ago.

The compression adjuster is not in line with the axis of the fork - it is situated at the bottom behind the fork centreline.
    It’s not like the old Showa forks where the compression adjuster is in line with the damping rod.
    I was thinking it may be accessible by removing the fork, turning it upside down and then simply unscrewing it.
    Impossible to find any info/manuals on line.

#3 RickyX, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. yes that is correct, upside down as will lose the least amount of oil, but can be done in the bike, just requires your finger over the hole to stop the dribble that comes out as it not under pressure.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Do you know how/where I can identify and get the parts?

6. P&H will carry spares off the shelf, standard 'O' ring size for Ohlins.

7. So...I just remove the circlip (ping!! Bugger, where did that go?) and unscrew the adjuster?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Quick picture of your version

9. 29-31 in picture, two o rings

10. Mine not like that!
    Pic to follow.

11. 749/999R have FG315 forks as in below “library picture”

46C6AA7F-60D6-420E-AE4B-9E0F690FA38C.jpeg

12. Ok so it's going to be the same principle, either it's held in with a circlip as you can either see or not, or it's held in withg a threaded collar as per picture I put up.

13. Just looked in my parts catalogue for the bike and it actually lists the adjuster and special washer.
    Spooky as no ther fork bits are listed.

14. I can confirm that it is possible to remove the compression adjuster screw from the bottom of 749/999R FG315 forks without losing any fork oil if the fork is removed and put upside down.

Points to note:
    The circlip is teeny and the eye ends are easily broken (did this)
    The trickiest operation is removing the valve once it is fully unscrewed as the seal creates a suction and the valve needs to be carefully eased out with suitable tools - pick, Swiss Army knife tweezers.
    Watch out for the teeny weeny spring and balls as they may go “boing” never to be seen again (didn’t do this, had my magnet at the ready!)
    Otherwise, piece of piss.
    Just hope P&H have an o ring and circlip.

DE01EE0A-5D66-4EF3-B55F-DCAC65406DC5.jpeg

7A8C538B-CE41-434C-9F12-95FD94FA5D96.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Don’t think Ducati list parts for Ohlins this far back. Wasn’t until 1098 we could even order seals....
    Give Ktech a call. They carry huge amounts of spares, else try a Ohlins centre. Kais or JHP

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Cheers @nelly .
    P&H, my local Ducati dealer, are also an Ohlins centre so I reckon I have both bases covered.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dropped into P&H with seconds to spare until they closed at 3 today....all parts available via the Ohlins P/No’s....a fiver for the o ring and circlip. To be sure I bought 2 each.

All back together now, forks back in bike.

Job done, I hope.

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information