1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Leaking Fuel Tank :-(

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Fastmonkey, Apr 30, 2021.

1. I swapped my tank for a track day last year and have only recently swapped back to my road tank. I didn't replace the fuel pump to tank seal when I swapped back and when id installed the tank and filled it with fuel it leaked like a sieve !

Took tank of the bike drained and then removed punp and re-installed with a new green rubber seal and it still leaks.........

Any ideas ?

2. You might have knicked the seal on installing. Easy to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I agree, I knicked mine once and now I pay particular attention to it. Damned green o-ring.

4. Sometimes people position this green O ring in the incorrect place like this one in the photograph, it should sit slightly higher on the lip / step.
    IMG_20190330_165104.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I was thinking the green o-ring on the fuel push on connection. That ones a bugger for getting a knick on it when you push it in.

6. Get a new o-ring, in fact get 2 or 3 in the same order, saves p&p snd you always have a spare. Make sure it’s sitting on the correct lip on the pump assembly. Grease the opening in the tank, not the rubber ring, red rubber grease or Vaseline will do. Get 3 bolts that are 10mm longer than the pump assembly bolts you took out and use them, a turn at a time, to slowly pull the assembly back into place evenly. When they bottom out swap them out for the correct length ones and tighten them up. Dont try and push the pump assembly home by hand it will only go in crooked and either dislodge the o-ring or nick it.

#6 West Cork Paul, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ok all good tips, I'll get a new rubber and have another go !

Thx

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information