1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Indicator Flash Rate - Different With Engine Running

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by HYPERBIMDUKE, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Hi

Hypermotard evo
    Just gone from front only LED indicators to both front & rear LED (all non standard), connected everything including resistors & flash rate was correct without engine running, as soon as engine running then they only do a partial flash, why does this change with engine running? anyone experienced this before? & whats the cure.
    Disconnected the resistors & flash is same with or without engine running albeit too fast.

2. You need to measure the voltage with the engine running and not running. It probably jumps a lot.
    Does it change with ignition on but engine not running? (CANBUS?)

3. Thanks AirCon, I'll check this.

4. The change in flash function with the engine running is almost certainly because the voltage is higher with the engine running, usually going from approx 12.5V to approx 14.5V. The Hyper has an unusual flasher arrangement where the indicator switch provides 12v to either RH or LH as selected and the ground is made by the dash which provides the flash function.
    I believe that the dash can enable LED rear flashers without the need for resistors. The pictures below show how to access the menu to enable them. Easier for me than trying to describe how. Hopefully that will give you the right flash rate.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 13.33.55.png Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 13.35.12.png

5. hi derek
    looking in the owners & workshop manual 2010-2012hyper 1100 evo i dont see this page, are you reffering to the pre-evo model?

6. Sorry, you are correct. I was looking a 2008 manual. The 2010-12 one which cover the evo shows the Service menu but it doesn't include a setting for the indicators.
    I suggest then that your resistors are not the correct value to emulate the bulbs. The bulbs are rated at 10W so, using Resistance = Volts squared / Watts we get R= 14 x 14 / 10 = 19.6Ω. So a 20Ω resistor across each LED should give the correct flash rate.

7. Ok thanks Derek, do I need the finned ally boddied or just cerramic type, is heat an issue?

8. They will get hot but since the flashers have a 50/50 duty cycle and are only on for short periods at a time they shouldn't get dangerously hot. If they are rated at 10W that should be sufficient although realistically they will only have to handle an average of 5W.

9. Ok so your not going to believe a word of this so I don't know why I'm bothering and it makes no sense

1098, fitted LED's to the rear, no change to the flash rate
    Then installed DP performance mirrors (better mirrors, shit indicators) ignition on high flash rate, Running engine normal flash rate
    Tried resistors on back and front separately and together, no change

This went on a for a while then without doing anything flash rate went to normal with both ignition off and on

I have no clue I did nothing.

I'm not the only one to experience this sort of weirdness @arthurbikemad experienced similar sort of occurrences of the Ducati black arts.

Personally I don't believe it's voltage change that is the culprit, even Ducati have replaced bi-metallic strips as timers.

There is weirdness going on with the CanBus and the dash, but as I have neither the time nor inclination to try to track down what it could be, I just call "magic shit".......................but I am an amateur ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information