1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Led Indicator Options

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by daedos, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Hi All. I recently purchased a beautiful 749 (shameless photo below). I'm trying to install a this tail tidy and am struggling to do a neat job with with the wiring. It's all so open so there is no hiding it, in particular the huge LED resistors to slow the flash rate. So...

1, Is there an option to change a relay instead of resistors? My searching says no.
    2, Can anyone recommend some LED indicators with resistors built-in. Preferable not £60 :)

Thanks All.

fr_180_1000.jpg

2. No, the flashing rate is controlled by the dash. If you make custom wiring you can hide the resistors inside the tail fairing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Most people fit LED indicators for two practical reasons. to reduce power consumption and to improve reliability. If you have to fit resistors then you are not reducing power consumption as you are saving light power to generate heat. You have introduced resistors to the system, just something else to fail so reliability is no better.

4. No, most people fit LED indicators for the lookz. :innocent:

• Like Like x 1
  5. For the looks and to be seen better. Resistor (or relay) are a must to reduce the flash rate.

Sigh. I thought this would be simple to install and be able keep the wiring stock. Might have to be a custom harness so the resistor can sit under the seat instead. FFS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was wondering if all these US tail lights with integrated indicators would be legal on this side of the pond. Those indicators are very close together and for safety reasons I prefer them further apart and more visible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Looks neat, can't say I would from a safety POV.

Legality is a grey area. VOSA says 180mm (or 240mm?) minimum distance apart which is more than the stock setup anyway. Nothing specific in the MOT guidelines so probably down to tester discretion - either spacing or obscurity.

8. I had my Monster MOT'd at the weekend and asked about the combination lights. Absolute no-no as far as he was concerned and VOSA are cracking down on them, as demonstrated by the article he'd stuck up on the wall:
    [​IMG]

They fail because when the indicator operates it affects the brake light and it reduces the brake light to only 50% of its LEDs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information