1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Tail-light With Integrated Turn Indicators - Legal?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by hyper95, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a tail-light unit for my hyper 821 which has the turn signal indicators integrated in the LED tail light itself.

Does anyone here have these installed? And does anyone know if they are legal? Would the bike pass the MOT?

There are several brands making them, but they all look something like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...BMAB6BAgIEAU&usg=AOvVaw1nBQ9h8d9xUbtL1w-1jQOk

2. I would check with your local MOT tester who will know. Don't bother calling the government offices, it takes ages to get through, and they have been known to change their minds partway through a conversation...

• Like Like x 1
  3. There is something to do with construction and use about them being at the edge of vehicle... then you have APPROVALS...

4. There is a minimum distance between the indicators.
    This one does look wider than most though when you take the extra portion under the brake/tail lights into account

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nope. For MOT, rear indicators have to be 180mm apart, clear distance. Most also flash the corresponding side red when brake is applied, only flashing Amber when brake is released. That’s use and construction regs. Not heard many cases of people getting nicked for them, but my tester won’t have em.
    Don’t think insurance reckon much to them either. Me neither, but each to their own.

• Useful Useful x 3
  6. Yeah, would be interesting if you get rear ended at a junction as to what your insurance would say. :thinkingface: Not like insurance companies to look at ways of not paying out. :rolleyes: You could always run a pre '86 bike and have no indicators at all.

Makes you wonder what the regs are on the front of cars though. My daytime running lights turn off when the indicator is on, on that side. :thinkingface:

7. Get it....and change it back for the MOT (wot i do).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Just to add ive got a generic set of indicators that i can bolt to a plate (large plate for whatever bike im getting mot'd) to give me a mot friendly bike...(my rsv is currently wearing its big plate and indicators bolted to that) for when it goes in....looks shit but its just for the day...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information