1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Let's Hope It Goes This Time!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by canaryman, May 16, 2019.

1. Hi, despite lowering the price of my 998 by £500, unfortunately there have been no enquiries, therefore with heavy heart, I've reduced it even further. The bike is listed in the for sale section, it's still an immaculate bike, still low mileage etc, TBH if it doesn't sell this time, even with a bit of wriggle room as they say, I might just hang on to it

2. Just in case there's any confusion, the price now as advertised on Autotrader and Car and Classic is £9500, thanks

3. Oh and I forgot to mention, not that I'm getting desperate but I thought out of curiosity I'd try "we buy any bike .com"...you must have heard of them, first offer, wait for it......£3800 yep that is low, however second offer now up to £7000, still too low unfortunately.

• WTF WTF x 2
  4. It's a lovely bike, GLWS

5. Thanks, much appreciated.

6. Someone has to really really want one to buy it, its a lovely bike but not one of the icons, also being a private sale not many have 9-10k sitting about and unless you are an old school Ducatisti that money gets you onto an 1199 Pani, it will never be a quick sale as its a premium product with a price tag to match, not knocking you in any way but 10k provides a lot of options for a bike buyer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. I totally agree with you in regard to it being a private sale and also the money involved. I also agree that in terms of it not being say a 916SPS/998R/Foggy Replica, however it's still basically the same design/shape of the bikes I/ve mentioned be it with a pillion seat. I'm sure that over the years there have been numerous articles regarding which bike has been considered the "greatest of all time" etc, with the 916/996/998 often referred to as an "icon"....I guess it's just a waiting game at the moment. The plan is to purchase a late Mini Cooper from around the year 2000. There's a guy selling a fantastic choice of them at fantastic prices in Devon, mmm I wonder if he does part exchange?....just a thought:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. If he does PX then show him a link to the Sheffield showroom with there prices it might help ;) and yes a very good around clean bike you have there,

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. As a coincidence I rang the Sheffield showroom the other day to see if they would be interested in buying the bike, unfortunately, they are having s break from buying, having just taken in 10 other bikes. As regards the guy in Devon, at the end of the they, he's a salesman and if he thinks he can make money on the deal then perhaps I should give him a bell on the weekend. Watch this spaceo_O

10. doh!! e mailed the guy selling Minis in Devon, unfortunately he's not interested in taking the 998 in part exchange, oh well let's see if anyone gets in touch over the next fortnight as I've readvertised it on Autotrader. Would it be worth another £20 by putting in MCN?....all of this advertising is getting expensive:confused:

11. Everything has its price and will sell at the right price, unfortunately its always lower than the figure we all have in our heads.

I've always had to reduce the price of any bikes I have sold on the listing, despite being mint and mechanically sound. But I never accept offers should I reduce it in the listing price. Just have to find the sweet spot.

I've always found lowering the price, but not including 'will accept nearest offer' in the advert, generates more interest than an overpriced bike (not saying yours is) where the seller is open to offers. If you can generate interest, its more likely to sell than none at all. Hope everything goes well and you sell it.

#11 Chris.King1, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. #####Post a advert on carandclassic for FREE:thinkingface::upyeah:
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1112453

13. #13 Chris.King1, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ok thanks for the opinion/info regarding the price being asked. I have lowered the price twice already, looking at my advert on Autotrader there's been something like 350 people have looked at the advert. I'm trying not to panic into dropping the price to a level where I'm under selling the bike, I just get the feeling that there are people out there watching and waiting for a certain price to appear, and then I'll be inundated with calls!....it's on for the next 2 weeks, maybe towards the end of next week I'll be tweeking the price more to the level mentioned in the previous post. Thanks

15. IMO the problem with lowering the price in increments each time it's advertised begins to smack of desperation and then you'll get the knuckleheads phone up 'wot's yer lowest price mate? I'll buy it unseen'. It's a really nice clean bike and I think, unless you do wish to offload it pronto, I'd take a break from advertising it. Leave it on here by all means, then in a month or so re-advertise it, with different angled/background photos so people can't so easily go 'That's the bike that was £xxxx just month ago', and advertise it at a price that's 500-1000 below dealer prices, which of course you will have been compiling a record. GLWS:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mmm yeah you're making a lot of sense with those comments. Maybe I've started off advertising it at too high a level to begin with, therefore I'm seriously thinking of lowering it once more at some point during the current advert if no enquiries, and then leaving it for a period. Wow, just had a call while doing this post, he wants more pics of the bike, hope he's not a messer as Guy Martin would say!...He's in Southampton, watch this space

• Like Like x 1
  17. If you can get him to view the bike it'll sell itself, then you'll just be haggling over the price. GLWS

18. Just sent him 15 additional pics, so that pics 28 photos if you include the ones already on Autotrader. I suppose it's just awaiting game now to see if he calls back.

19. ...yep, the amount of times I have gone to view a bike, telling myself I'm only looking...but ended up riding it home. Some how magically I have brought my helmet and gloves

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Just had a second call from a guy in North Wales, who wants to come down on Tuesday to view it!...amazing nothing for 2 weeks and then 2 calls within the hour

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information