1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Lets Talk Frame Sliders Again....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pcn1, Jul 18, 2021.

1. I have this feeling I'm going to drop this bike one day, whilst parking up or trying the push it in the garage. Never worried about it on other bikes... but this is the tallest, top heavy bike I've owned, plus I'm 56 now and don't have legs like the Hulk to catch the weight.

I've already fitted the Evo tech hand guards as a start, but worry about the engine cases or tank panels in a drop.

Has anyone here had a real world experience of a stationary, or very slow drop on the bike with sliders fitted that can say if they helped save further damage ? My excess is £600, so a £90 investment now could save me ££ later if they do.

When it comes to a faster "off" (be that 30mph or 70mph) , and stories of the sliders catching kerb stones etc and causing more damage by flipping the bike, I don't think I'd care about the bike at that point. Its fully insured, they can fix it or send me a cheque in the post if its totalled.
    Id only be concerned about my safety and I live to tell the tale.

Any comment's guys ?

Thanks

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Had frame sliders on an old bike and I dropped it at a Junction. No damage to the bike at all. It's not just cost it's the time and effort to get the bike fixed should it be damaged. I'd recommend for road use especially as you aren't fussed about the high speed debate on the bike flipping etc

3. Not sure about the 1260 because the shape of the tank is bigger than my first generation 1200. I started with R&G aero bungs but went to the OE engine bars. I unfortunately pulled the fully laden bike off the side stand on top me. One broken mirror stem and a scraped pannier was the only damage. Side fairings and tank panels were unmarked. The bars are not the cheapest option but IMO, a more robust option than bungs. Andy

4. +1 on this. I had the Evotech crash bungs and the bike still scratched the tank cover with them on. The Ducati / Touratech bars cover more, and combined with the Ducabike handguard protectors and the Givi pannier rails it's now well protected.

Also as a tip, click it into "Urban" mode when parking... the bike will lower itself a few mm. The Ducati / Touratech seat is also a slimmer saddle and gives a bit more feet-on-the-floor-ability.

5. Yes, I've dropped my Panigale with R&G sliders.
    Mirror, clip-on and shifter took one for the team. Slider didn't even touch the ground.
    Useless (at least for me they were) and adds weight.
    IMHO, they're just another expensive piece to replace if you drop.
    Using that money towards a lower insurance premium is money better spent, again IMHO.

#5 DarR, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  6. having recently crashed with no protection, my bike suffered fairing scrapes, clip on, mirror, rearset, front axle nut, rear axle nut and sprocket carrier and the snapped off bit of rearset dragged down the swingarm too.. all small cosmetic things and I'm now taking the bike back to a bare frame for a full restoration.

my mate who was out with me on his RSV mille was too busy watching me crashing and crashed himself (honestly, you couldn't make it up..) he had frame and axle sliders and his bike is ok, the sliders have came out of the frame ok and he's replacing them.

I will be fitting axle sliders and GB racing engine protection to my bike when it's rebuilt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Almost static manoeuvring drop with my 1260 Mutley, got past the point of no return and had to let it go, I have Evotec bobbins. Absolutely zero damage apart from a small in-perceptible scuff to the slider end itself. I didn't have the panniers on at the time, they would have, no doubt, been scuffed too. The bars flipped the right way as to not crack the hand-guard. Paid for themselves in one hit I reckon.

8. Just the advise I was looking for. I'll go ahead and order up a set.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Took the same attitude on a faster spill as you. Quality kit as you'll already know from your other purchases from them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I dropped my 1260 in a gravel car park, broke the indictor / handguard and the plastic holding the brake reservoir, small marks on the pillion Foot peg bracket, no damage to any bodywork at all, all without any frame bobbins. I then fitted Bark Busters, naturally I didn't drop it again but the BB will protect the levers and the flimsy plastic that could leave you stranded when the brake or clutch reservoirs are waving about. The BB are also very useful for collecting van and car wing mirrors in narrow gaps in heavy traffic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. A friend dropped their DVT on a trip in France, when coming round a corner about 50mph to find loose unrolled gravel top dressing with no warning signs (they actually turned up to put the signs out whilst the ambulance was attending to him - a touch late).
    His bike had damage to the left hand guard, and the bit of the tank that sticks out the most. No fork damage, no rear end damage. A new hand guard and respray of the tank by a local body shop fixed it for about 200 quid.

A guy we know had crash bobbins on his VFR V-tec many years ago, and a slow speed crash bent the fixing bar. When he finally removed the bar he discovered it had cracked the engine casing.
    A guy at a track day years ago on a Suzuki dropped it. The crash bobbin broke the bracket off the frame.
    So what ever you choose to fix, just consider what it is attached to.

Personally I think spindle bobbins look odd, but if they protect the forks and rear spindle its probably money well spent.
    On my Enduro I fitted rear paddock stand bobbins just to try to protect the swinging arm if it goes over.

Finally, a friend with a 950 multi chooses to have a very high voluntary excess which gets his policy price right down. He then insures the excess on a seperate policy. Its very cheap, and means if you make a claim on this insurance it doesnt affect your no claims. I've never heard of this before, but considering it when I renew next time. If it costs 30 quid to insure the excess thats cheaper than a bunch of sliders.

12. Protected No Claims Bonus can be misunderstood. It does protect the NCB percentage, this is true, so I suppose that 'the writing on the tin concurs with the contents'. However, after a claim the cost of the base policy is increased depending on the severity of the claim or some other formula the underwriters choose, your NCB is applied to this. The assumption that your premium doesn't increase due to the claim is a false one though if it were not protected and you lost your NCB it would be more still.

13. Confused as to how insurance on an excess can protect no claims. They are two different things.

14. You claim on the policy thats only covering the excess (lets say £1000). This specific policy doesnt have any no-claims, its a fixed risk/cost.
    You arent claiming on the main policy so therefore it doesnt affect the no-claims, protected or not. Or am I wrong ?
    (all my policies are protected and have been for years)

I am aware that if you have an accident you are meant to tell your insurance company even if its not your fault or you arent claiming on the policy. Frustratingly your premium may go up though simply because you are perceived as a higher risk.
    Personally if I dropped my bike in my drive and fixed it at my cost I wouldnt tell them about it.

Like I say, I've personally not tried insuring my excess, its a mate that does it.
    Interesting idea though eh.

15. At the end of the day, I hope I never need to find out if they work.

But if I do drop it whilst parking up, seems a good chance they will help avoid some damage as others have testified too.

And as I said, a fast spill then f**k the bike, its fully insured.

Its damage to me I only care about !

Thanks to all for your input :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dropped mine off an abba stand , fell over onto exhaust side.
    Hand guard and passenger footpeg bracket on full termi system touched down , no other damage with no protection fitted.
    hand guard held out .

17. The long term costs of making a claim, across a few years of hiked premiums, as well as an excess would make such a policy a sensible option if it were reasonably priced and worked in the way that you describe. Though I would be reading the small print very thoroughly that this insurance doesn't pay the excess directly to the insurer as part of the claims process, or some other unforeseen gotcha. The insurance companies like their small print...

How do they establish that your claim on their policy is legit if you don't make a claim with your main insurer? Do they send someone round to inspect damage to establish that you have actually dropped your bike?

18. I have SW Motech engine bars and Evotech handguards on my DVT Multistrada. It fell on its side last weekend while I was manoeuvring it on my driveway. A very slow fall, but it did go down. As it was laid on the floor, both wheels were off the ground and it was balanced on engine bar and handlebar.

Luckily there was NO damage at all to the bike beyond a very, very small scuff on the crash bar which I touched in with a marker pen and is now invisible.

I managed to slow its fall to a slow drop. I collected a bruise on my leg and wrenched my back in getting the heavy bast back up again, but no damage to panels or controls.

That's exactly why I fitted those bars in preference to sliders. Sliders even at slow speed mark up terribly when they touch the ground and are about 50 quid just to replace a plastic bobbin - they dont stick out far enough for my liking either.

I do have a new set of R&G sliders I fitted but decided not to leave in place. Still new in the pack

The wrap around bars are a far better solution IMHO. This photo is an old one, but shows how well the bars do cover the plastics. In my case, they already paid for themselves as I suspected they might one day ;)

[​IMG]

#18 HootOwl, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  19. The R&G ones don't, the Evotech ones are that little bit longer.

• Like Like x 1
  20. They still mash when they touch the floor though :(

#20 HootOwl, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
Do Not Sell My Personal Information