1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifelong Fan About To Buy My First True Love... Need Advice

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by RocketRomeo, Apr 22, 2014.

?
  1. Monster 696

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Monster 796

100.0%
  1. Hello all

As per the title, I have admired Ducati as a brand since a child and despite riding off road for many years, I have finally made time to get my road licence and buy a ducati...

Currently deciding between the Monster 696 or 796 and have been researching / talking to many folk and the arguements for each seem consistent.

My question is that the dealer I visited seems quite fixed on prices and the £6995 for the 696 or £7995 for the 796 will not move. Is this normal? I've bought many cars over the years and never paid full retail price. I'd appreciate any advice or known going prices for the bikes that people have paid recently?

And just to add to my decision making ... I've added a poll now I've seen that I can!

I look forward to using the site and learning lots

Cheers

Ant

• Like Like x 1
  2. There's a lot of Dukes about, go to a different dealer :)

3. If Ducati fails me then the Duke is my 2nd choice... but i think this, being my first, needs to be a Monster.

Thanks!

4. Sorry, Duke can also be used for Ducati, I mean there are plenty of Ducati about. You don't need to be restricted by your dealer. You could save enough to cover travel/delivery costs and still make a significant saving if you go to the right place.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Oh! Sorry, please excuse my ignorance .... newbie is the word!

I am thinking that a new bike may be the best option as the finance rates are usually better? I'll have to try calling other ducati dealers. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. good luck, which ever way you go! take your time and shop around. plenty of bargains around.

br, ian

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Good luck trying to get blood out of a stone Dave ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I would add a Hyper Motard to your list as well, from my own experience of passing my test a year ago I would buy the bigger engined bike, you'll get bored quickly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. If you're experienced at handling a bike off road, then go for the larger bike, less likely that you'll out grow it quickly. You should have no problem handling the bike, and will be able to use the extra power to get out of trouble.

I had a 620 as my first bike when I lived in the US. When I came back to UK, I got a 696 to build up some NCB here, however it quickly began to feel small, so I chopped it in for an 1100s (which wasn't a toy ;) )

A 796 seems like a nice size, though I've not ridden one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. 796 is a proper Monster. I think the 696 is aimed much more at new riders.

You could keep the 796 fior a few years at not get bored with it but i'm not sure that is true of the 696. The 796 will also be easier to sell on at a future date.

Rather than try and get discount off the bike ( which is not easy with Ducati) try and get extras thrown in for free. e.g. First service or nice carbon bits or gloves etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Welcome to the Ducati Forum

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Cheers for your responses folks.... And the advice... I'll get ringing around and see who throws in the best deal overall then... I'll hopefully be back with a positive result and a new bike on its way!

13. No replacement for displacement!! 796 every time. Don't dismiss Ducati's PCP plan! I had enough cash plus trade in to buy monster 1200 outright but opted for PCP as they offered me a better trade in plus free data tag plus £500 worth of servicing/gear for £200. Put the deposit I had saved into an ISA instead!!!

Good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Prices are normally very firm, with deals mostly done on trade in value. If you are cash/finance buyer with no px, best you ,ay get is discounts off extras or a free service

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information