1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Lifting The Front End

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Siddo, Dec 3, 2019.

1. The standard Abba stand has an attachment which gives you the versatility to lift the front. I have used it successfully it on my 748/853 builds. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cheers. Never knew that existed but it looks a lot of faffing about.

3. Nah, easy peasy. The 853 is currently stored on one in the utility room as I’m replacing the rear shock absorber and refitting stock triple clamps. Andy

4. I used to have an Abba stand but found it a bit of a faf tbh, and even more of a faf having to buy the extra kit to lift the front wheel

I Bought one of these https://www.1jac.com/ and never looked back, quality bit of kit, both wheels off the ground in one simple action, and you can still move bike around on the stand

• Like Like x 2
  5. This looks quite a nice bit of kit so I had a look at their website. The additional kits for my bikes are all £65 each which seems pretty steep. Certainly appear to be less faff than an Abba stand but at a price.

6. Personally, I wouldn't trust having a $20,000+ Ducati sitting on a piece of junk.
    I have both the front and rear Pit-Bull stands. I haven't seen anything more sturdy and versatile.
    It's also what the serious track guys use.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=M18GNzIN99g&feature=emb_logo

#7 DarR, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  7. DarR where can you get the pit bull front stand in the UK and will it work with a centre stand steadying the rear?

8. Hi Steve, i cant answer the UK question.
    I just performed a physical confirmation. The front stand does not work well with the centerstand although it does work. It's a close call as the rear wheel does touch the ground. Consequently, it's "no bueno" and Not recommended. I would only be comfortable either using both front and rear stands or just the center stand with adequate strapping.

#9 DarR, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. So I went to Ducati dealer to check out their front paddock stand and it worked perfectly on lifting the front wheel while the bike was on the centre stand. Then they told me it was £190!!! Does anyone have a tried and tested, reasonably priced alternative front paddock stand that will lift the front wheel of a 1260 S/PP off the ground when the bike is on the centre stand (without marking the front brake calliper mounts)? I can see loads on amazon / flea bay that look like they should do the job but I don’t want to buy one and find it doesn’t fit the bike, lifts it too high (so risks the bike falling over when the centre stand comes off the ground!) or risks marking the front calliper mounts.

10. Trolley jack with flat bit of wood wrapped in an old t-shirt under the bash plate.

Sorted.

11. That is a very pragmatic solution :)

12. I have one of these, works OK with my 1260 and is adjustable so you can have the bike on it and the centre stand with both wheels off the ground (just). You also will need the 27mm pin as the provided pins are too small for the 1260.

Not absolute top quality I'll grant you, but adequate. Wouldn't clamber onto the bike with it on this. Have used with my MV and the 1260MTS, less precarious than a jack under the bash plate which is what I used on my previous bikes.

You do need to unscrew the plastic plate that covers the bottom of the headstock.

20190506_145226.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Thanks really useful. I’m looking at paddock stands that lift the front brake calliper bracket initially but might switch to your option. BTW I never managed to get mine on the centre stand on our gravel front. Mind you I’m a 5’8” wimp.

14. Will that not put stress unevenly on one side of the frame after repeated use ?? Would it be possible to actually twist the frame slightly of a heavy bike after many many lifts ??

15. I use a Harris front stand, Abba Skylifts or this which is the best:

IMG_0257.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Same as my Abba skylift. As it is lifting on both swinging arm pivots, very strong points, it does not have any twist at all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit the skylift, bought mine about 3 yrs ago:upyeah::upyeah:

18. Er .....can anyone recommend a front paddock stand that lifts the front wheel (at the axle or brake calliper rather than the headstock or lifting the whole bike) that’s fits the MTS 1260 and doesn’t cost £190 like the Ducati one does?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information