1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifting Workbench

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Nasher, Aug 4, 2020.

1. I've decided I'm fed up with pushing bikes up and down a plank to get them on and off my bike workbench.

So am looking for a proper lifting bench instead.
    Does anyone have a good quality one for sale within easy collection distance of the Petersfield area?

Please note I really don't want a Skylift type device, just looking for an old fashioned lifting bench.

Thanks

Nasher.

2. I've had one from Machinemart. Every so often they do cheapo Saturdays. Worth keeping an eye out.

Definitely worth the 500 odd that it cost me.

Now, I would not be without one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yep, I couldn't be without one now.

I am going to miss the storage space I built into my homemade one though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nasher

• Like Like x 3
  4. That is just showing off! Plebs, like me, just buy from MachineMart.....

5. Not really, I totally underestimated the stress involved in putting a bike up and down a plank onto it without it falling off.
    I've done it lots of times, and the locking castors help, but It doesn't get any easier or any more fun.

Nasher

• Like Like x 2
  6. You could always make some widening flaps and a ramp which allowed you to ride up... Though not so useful for working on broken bikes!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ...but be careful as the large Clarke one is a good size for all bikes and paddock stands, many are shorter and useless for larger bikes :eyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. And some are quite narrow. Make sure you can get full front and rear stands on there

9. I have a similar setup to you and what I have decided to do is mount a 240v hoist in the roof, lift the bike with straps and roll the bench under it. I ordered the winch yesterday on Ebay for about £70 so should have it working by next week.

One strap under the headstock and one under the frame near the back, attach both to an engine leveller and l should be able to control the lift so it stays horizontal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you can spend a Little more on a Clarke or similar better built models. Whilst the cheaper ones do the same job they are not built as well so are less stable when fully lifted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Thanks all.

Useful info to help me narrow down what I need.

Nasher.

12. I think that I must have the large Clarke one.It has a large removable piece that is helpful got moving out of the way and removing wheels. Also had a lug on each side for attaching tie-down straps. Top pieces of kit.

13. If you want the best - buy LV8 electro Hydraulic - Nano 600 - not cheap but EXCELLENT

14. Thanks guys, shame they are both out of stock.

15. What’s the general verdict on the Clarke options, foot pump or for a few quid more the compressor lift?
    I have a compressor so I’m quite tempted, especially if I can get one on a discount weekend.

16. I have the hydraulic/air lift Clarke ramp,never ever used the air, pushing a peddle a few times takes no effort at all, and yes I also have a compressor

17. I've sort of discounted the Air ones, partly because I think it will be quicker to pump a pedal a few times than turn the compressor on, wait for it to build up pressure, connect the line etc.

Still making my mind up as I'm waiting for a response from C J Autos.
    I've asked if they know when they'll have their 700mm wide one back in stock.
    Even though everything motorcycle related on their site is showing as out of stock at the moment.

Nasher

Do Not Sell My Personal Information