1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light Smoke Near Cam Belt Cover? Ms1200

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by R Burns, Oct 4, 2020.

1. I was warming the engine this morning prior to doing an oil and filter change when I noticed smoke from around the cam belt cover. I have had the multistrada 1200 for a few weeks now and normally I just start and ride so I have never noticed it before. I have a video but the file is too large to add here. It was first thing in the morning so it may have been just damp but I don't know. The whole area around is bone dry, no sign of fluid or oil leaks. Any ideas?

2. How easy/difficult is it to remove the cam belt cover on those and see what's going on underneath?

3. I'm sure it's easy, I will try that but I just spent all day on servicing and thought maybe someone has seen it before.

4. Probably just moisture evaporating!
    Was there an associated smell?
    If there was I'd whip the cover off and have a gander.

5. Had you just washed it? Could it be water ingress as @BobTheBounder suggests which is evaporating off?

Still no harm in having a look if it's easy enough to remove the cover and you don't have to remove exhausts etc to do so

6. Well, I did have a sniff and there was a hint of a smell but at the same time the exhaust had similar smoke, so I just think moisture and added to the engine running rich after just starting that was probably the smell. I'll whip the cover off tomorrow and take a look.

7. It was dry, just first thing on a damp morning I'm hoping

8. It's worth removing the cover and repeating the start up to see what, if anything, is causing it. Best to nip something like that in the bud early.

9. It's my lockdown job for tomorrow now :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Check the bearings on tensioner arnt seized that could cause heat/ smoke.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information