1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighter, smoother, quieter clutch - £15. :)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by 470four, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Did this last week to my SS, thought it might be of interest?

The 1980's S*zuki GS650 clutch plates are EXACTLY the same fitting as Ducati plates?

I picked up a secondhand GS clutch basket, including friction & plain plates on eBay for £15 + P&P, then stripped out & degreased the friction plates...

[​IMG]

The S*zuki plain plates have a different number of teeth - so can be sold on (am hoping to sell the basket, centre drum and plain plates on seperately for more than what I bought the whole lot for, putting this little project into a minus-figure :D ) - the friction plates will drop straight into your Ducati basket, and are also alloy rather than steel, so wont chew up your alloy basket? ;)

You get eight plates per clutch, so can run one at the back of the basket as a "quiet clutch" mod? The other seven will replace your existing plates in their existing order, being the same thickness?

[​IMG]

The above pic shows a Ducati friction plate over the top of a S*zuki one, also the teeth difference in the plain plates?

Once assembled, the clutch pack will be lighter, MUCH less rattly (alloy plates on alloy basket, plus better clearance between the tangs & basket slots) and in use is VERY smooth, almost like a wet clutch? :cool:

Townwork is now less of a snatchy grabby bikefight, I have also purchased a brand new set of OE S*zuki plates for when and if these wear out - for £30 - which beats the crap out of Ducati clutch plate prices...

It's a noticable difference! You just glide off, like an IL4?? No noise, squealing, dakka-dakka-dakka... have put a few hundred miles on mine now with no drama's? Slow-speed traffic & town riding is no longer the throttle & clutch juggle it used to be?

Should fit into any dry-clutch basket of this vintage, 2v or 4v? [​IMG]

New pattern S*zuki clutch kits sell for like £35-40 on eBay? Other GS's may share the same clutch, but I couldnt confirm this?

Credit to Steve B, who had a set of knackered GS plates in his shed - which led to this project... :smile:

All good. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Ace! If you don't mind, I'll cross post to DuN.

3. Nice hint - Watch the run on GS clutch parts and the price go up!!

Can't go more than Ducati OE price though :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carry on chap! :)
    Its already on Ducati.ms, I had to wait before I got myself a cheap second set before advertising it on here :wink:

5. I saw some posts on this a while back on another forum with split opinion on life. They're wet clutch originally so your used set will probably give a frying tonight aroma for a while.

6. I need some new plates, will give them a go

7. So if they should be run 'wet', what will the life be if they run dry? Different compund innit?

AL

PS.....Why I should worry? Mine's wet anyway....

8. Tooooo much information. :biggrin:

I would relate it to running black (organic) brake pads instead of sintered? The Barnett alloy clutch plates have the same material, so life shouldn't be a prob methinks? Mechanical sympathy is the answer to a long dry-clutch life... :wink:

9. Oh well, I guess that told me (or did it?)..............and did you get my emails with the info?

AL

10. :) Yep,I got them, thankyou! Got my fairings out of the loft, may look into a dog-bone plate? Need something to occupy my mind...

11. Are you still here?

12. Good work...:upyeah:

13. Excellent find 470four!

Now, if you can sort me out some reasonably priced timing belts...

14. Heretic :mad:

The rest Sir, I doff my cap to you!

15. hi chaps l was involved with the clutch thing with Dazzer
    the suzook plates have done around a 1000 miles now with no measurable wear

plus points
    lovely smooth take up of drive
    lighter
    aluminium wont beat the carp out of the basket
    cheaper

minuses
    no jangles
    regard Steve B

• Like Like x 1
  16. What are jangles?

I bought a set. It looks identical to plates I got 7 months ago for monster for 90GBP!!! Sadly Suzuki one's not fitted yet as SS still in pieces.

Also if you have any ie bike (and some before) you already have alloy plates/basket so no rattling difference should be expected.

17. Hey all

wish i read this before getting the steal plates! If i run steal plates on an alloy basket will the basket take a hammering or should i just get a steal or aluminium basket?

Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information