1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightning Cable Recommendations

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by GarySN, Mar 26, 2018.

1. To those of you using iPhones for SatNav duties, do any of you have recommendations for lightning cables that last more than a few months? I've had cables from Ultimate AddOns, Amazon and Anker, and none have lasted more than a few months before failing to charge or charging intermittently. I put this down to the movement and flexing that occurs while flapping about on the move (my phone is mounted above the clocks, and the cables are hardwired and routed around the clocks using cable ties).

My latest is from Sephia, and claims to be robust, so I've gone with this one despite my preference for plain black. I've seen some with right-angled heads, and I couldn't work out whether this would exacurbate the problem or eradicate it.

Any recommendations based on long-term experience would be much appreciated.

2. I buy the “genuine” Apple ones in packs and treat them as consumables

3. Damn.... I just purchased a new one from Amazon for £6..... thinking this has got to last at that money.

4. Where from please ?

5. What about short ones? Surely they'd be less prone to the wind?

Can't remember where I got it from but I use a 200mm long one. Seems ok but I don't use it that often so can't tell you how seriously durable it's been.

Try eBay or Google it.

6. I use mine all the time and the best I’ve found is to use a short, coiled jobby.

I find it’s not the flapping that kills them, it’s the moisture. Take a look at the contacts on the dead ones and look for the black spots. I used to leave mine on the bike and it would get wet. I now take mine off and they’re lasting much longer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1M-COILE...hash=item3af665fb34:m:mNlZeH8xLSZkfl02QRRwW2Q

Edit: That’s 1m fully extended. I can measure mine if you like

7. Thanks for the responses. I'm after a connector that lives permanently on the bike. I have a rubber end cap that protects from moisture when not in use, though I take JH's comments re black spots, which I have seen before. I'm also considering a right-angled micro-usb adaptor, which looks much more robust, with a lightning converter. Might try this if the Sephia fails. Biggest problem at the moment is the Sephia looks gaudy compared to a nice plain black. I'll put up with it if it proves reliable though.

8. If you want it on the bike all the time, get one of those magnetic ones. The contacts on those are far bigger than the tiny ones on a lightning cable and hold up better

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information