1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lights Issue

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by MiguelL, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Riding to work earlier I noticed the high beam idiot light was on. The handlebar switch was set on low beam. Toggling between the two didn't change anything.
    When I got to work I found there was no lights from the headlight at all, only the sidelight.
    The tailight was out and the brake light wasn't working.
    A quick visual at the fuses seemed ok but until I can get home with the multimeter I can't be sure if the fuses are good or not. Also the brake light is on a different fuse to the low/high beam circuit.
    Luckily I shall be home before it gets dark.
    Anybody got any ideas what might be common connection for these issues?

2. Sorry I should have said, its a 94 900 supersport

3. Unplug and re-plug a relay or two giving them a jiggle in case they’re stuck. Can’t remember if the light ccts are relay controlled but it can’t hurt when you stuck for useful diagnostic tools .

4. A dodgy earth can throw up weird symptoms like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I found the brakelight bulb and stoplight had both blown when I got home last night. Replaced it and rear end now fine.
    Yet to look at headlight.
    Maybe that has blown as well and bridged the low/high beam circuit. That would bring on the Hi beam dash light. We shall see

• Like Like x 2
  6. quite a common culprit is the connector block on the headlight bulb melting causing a variety of problems
    could have melted and shorted the hi and low together
    on mine I believe it was insufficient earthing was the problem

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Just found that exact problem today
    I have ordered a ceramic replacement.
    Should sort it out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. While I am in there to replace the connector block with the replacement ceramic I might as well upgrade the wire to the earth.
    Is there a seperate earthing point specifically for this or does it disappear in the loom? Maybe its worth running a seperate earth anyway.
    Thanks everybody for your help.

9. I ran an extra earth just for good measure
    in the end I ran a relay kit as in you would get for extra spotlights on a car etc to feed low beam triggered by the original lighting feed to see if the earth and power feed were insufficient result was low beam is now brighter than high beam when I get round to getting it back on the road will tidy up wiring and add a second relay in for high beam
    melting the connector would be caused by to much resistance in the circuit ie a bad earth if I remember correctly

10. Thanks for that
    I shall certainly run an extra earth when i fit the replacement connector.
    I shall add the relay mod to my list of things to do when I retire at the end of the year. (My wife doesn't want me hanging around the house getting in her way etc )
    I need more ideas of essential things to keep me in the garage, shouldn't be difficult :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. reality check ITS A DUCATI
    ther is always something to do lol

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information