1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lithium Batteries And My Trip To Snells Ducati.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by WAYNE, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Right so today i went up to Snells Ducati (seemed rude not to, good weather nice roads) and had a chat with a mechanic but not the one who dealt with me, he wasn't there so this other one said don't use lithium batteries especially in my 996, i told him i've had one on my 900ie for over 4 years no issues and he still said to change it (i'm not on my 900ie) he said that if the battery surges the battery can explode, it's to do with the REG/REC and the voltage changes that can occur (i am no sparky and that doesn't sound good) so now think i will get a maintenance free one from Halfords (discount card and all that) but i am taking the 996 apart to go to get paint and tank ding sorted and engine paint tlc (by me) so not much point getting a battery now.
    Anyhoo i am of the opinion that there is no definitive answer to this question, if there is let us know, but it seems to be hit or miss to use one and one mechanic saying one thing and another saying something different so the jury is out, sort of!!o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. When my R/R went faulty on the 996 it was putting out 22v
    Good old motobatt took it, just a few ripples on the case
    I believe if you did the same to a lithium battery it would be spectacular
    Maybe the new mosfet R/R don’t do high volts when they fail, but I’m not willing to find out

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. It's just a hit and miss thing, i think it was @Exige or @AirCon can't remember but it's Russian Roulette, i've read of guys who have had lithium batteries in there 996's with no issues like on my 900ie but i am going to take the one off the 996 and stick with a maintenance free one.:upyeah:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. You will always have no issue till the reg/rec goes pop - then there is a fair chance your bike will catch fire.
    I have had a lot of bikes with not problem with the R/R but I have also had to replace at least three older bikes that would have prob caught fire or caused a considerable amount of damage.
    Just not worth the risk IMO if the bike is designed with a R/R for lithium then fine if not leave alone

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Never trust a Ducati mechanic. The ones that I have dealt with Near Winchester seem to know nothing about anything mechanical/electrical, but just change things.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  6. I had a lithium battery on my written off Monster S4r, without problem, but after reading stuff here, I'll never get another. If I feel the need for weight saving then I will go for a dump!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fit the lithium and take a dump, 6 kilos saved instead of just 3. :poop:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ah but on a monster the battery is high up where as a 916 etc it’s central
    So having a dump on a monster won’t be as effective as having a dump on a 916
    Mass centerilisation don’t you know ask Honda :bucktooth:

9. you need to upgrade to the latest generation of Reg/rec like the SHINDENGEN MOSFET FH020AA, its standard equipment now on everything from R1 through to v4r.
    Replacing an old ducati reg/rec with an elextrex rr51 just won't cut it.

Also worth noting that sometimes it's the stator that fails and the reg/rec is wrongly blamed, leading to people going through reg/recs like they were sweets., and irrespective, no regulator can make up for a bad or weak battery.

#9 Sev, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. On my ST2 and ST3 the battery is low on the right. They are big, flipping heavy, batteries but I doubt that I would notice any weight saving. I've recently bought new, conventional batteries for both bikes and so I can excuse myself from the Lithium debate - not that I have anything useful to say!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. No on both my wifes and my girlfriends monsters the batteries are low down in the front of the swinging arm.

12. My bad thought the battery was under the tank on monsters

13. On my S4r Monster, it was located hot and high - underneath the fuel tank!

14. Having worked in Marine and Aviation electronics for years, and some of that working with Lithium batteries in personal locater beacons, they scare me.

I now use a Motobatt on my 97 M900, but having had a reg/rec catch fire on it coming down the A3(long Story and it was an Electrix World RR51 one) I've converted the bike to run a later spec one. With the original Reg/Rec I think I'd only run a Lead Acid Battery.
    I will be converting my 1000SSie DS over the winter in the same way.
    If nobody minds me linking another forum I could find my thread on how I did it.

Nasher.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Here's the thread with the whole story and where I got the inspiration from for the conversion:
    http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=57360
    The actual conversion is mainly on page 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They don't supply an output to the charge light in the same way so another conversion is required, but it gives you far more info.

[​IMG]

Nasher

• Useful Useful x 3
  16. Interesting lifestyle choice there, good for you.

Regards trusting Ducati mechs, there are a good few that really know their onions, AK at Snells, Nelly at Cornerspeed and Rick at JHP amongst others all capable of proper diag work and not just swop in / swop out merchants, find the right mechanic / dealer and lifes a lot easier ....

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Now...... :mad:

18. Any decent lithium battery comes fitted with a safety strip which prevents any overcharging and stops exactly the claimed issue from happening.

Shido batteries have said strip, but I do know that the JMP brand does not ...basically if you buy a cheaper lithium (as with all things cheaper) expect to have issues. Buy an approved item and you will see no issues.

Ask the vendor if the battery has the safety device built into its construction, if he does not know or cannot tell you, buy elsewhere. If it does - its safe to use.

That mechanic is out of touch with current products :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. I'm confused by all this: when you guys are talking about 'lithium' batteries, do you mean the 'gel' batteries? On the 748/996 there is an extra spacer bit of plastic, that permits you to fit either the smaller gel battery, or, discarding the spacer, the larger traditional lead-acid type. I used to know the number for both of them off by heart, but can't remember now! :grinning:

Or do you mean something different?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information